Lochsa carnage in the spider - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-09-2013   #1

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Lochsa carnage in the spider

Fish creek, terminator, and the falls.

Sorry, should have done a bit of trimming but I'm just figuring the new computer out.

spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013   #2

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post

Fish creek, terminator, and the falls.

Sorry, should have done a bit of trimming but I'm just figuring the new computer out.
Nice vid, ill show it to my friends the next time they ask me why I run pin and clips.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #3

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
My buddy made it through in his 14.5' riken with oar locks just fine. The spider was the smallest boat I saw in 5 days out there. As far as pins and clips I would rather have them pop out than bend in half. I tuned my oar locks and they stayed in much better. Many lessons learned last week.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Why are you not paddling down stream you shouldn't need to do bunch of those reverse strokes. Would def keep you drier.. Just saying, it's not a drift boat.. Line up early and remember the ol right to left and left to right... Good luck dude. Remember to punch the holes..
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #5

Up shites creek, Colorado
I'd agree with Mike. More fwd strokes to help punching those monster waves. And have that passenger help hi-side... or at least have them stick their paddle in the water(maybe I missed it?).
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #6
swimming

Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
Wow, please don't give any boating advise or frame setup advise to anyone. Get some training my friend.
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #7

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
I think this qualifies for the swim team thread.
Old 05-10-2013   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Hey be nice guys we all still learn everyday so be chill and respect each other. Give him a tip. Don't give him shit.

If you want to go out sometime I'd go with you and we can work through it.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Nicely done!

You have to hit that thing with as much speed as possible!

You learn more by flipping than you do clean.

I'm very glad to see you added your helmet. The Lochsa is pretty deep, but frame and oar locks are harder than your head!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Yeah our new kayak buddy's loaned me the lid. The spider makes a pretty exciting ride on the lochsa. 18'er next time. Or next week I should say.
When next week? Assuming Monday if you're running the Yellowstone this weekend? Sorry I'll miss you.

Those WRSI helmets are sweet. Best bang for the buck, IMHO. Very easy to set up for different head sizes/shapes, and not insanely expensive. I wish they made a shell big enough for my huge melon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
Hey be nice guys we all still learn everyday so be chill and respect each other. Give him a tip. Don't give him shit.

If you want to go out sometime I'd go with you and we can work through it.
That's part of what makes the Lochsa fun. A lot of the III-IV rivers in MT that I've run (and I'd assume he has) are just read and run. Set up on the green tongue and ride it through. The Lochsa has a lot more snort and you have to do some continuous maneuvering and push on the oars to get more momentum to punch the bigger stuff.

Quote:
Get some training my friend.
I'd argue that 6 days on the lower with the river coming up continuously from 4,800 to 12,000 qualifies for training! There are a lot of things he learned that one would never learn in a week of classes. Intro classes are all about covering the instructor's ass for liability.

It takes guts to put a video of your first time on a river up for public criticism. I didn't see a shit show--the least we can give him is constructive criticism. It's not like he was hucking Class V and looking for someone else for a rescue. He was just taking the next step above his current comfort level and rescued himself. That's a quality learning experience. Of course, it still qualifies for the swim thread and a bootie beer!!!!!

His flips could be faster, but all of our reflips were slow at first. We hope to not have to use them at all...but sadly, practice does make reflips faster.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Seems like a really skinny raft to be using oars with. Kind of like putting an oar frame on a canoe. If you were running it as a paddle boat you would be able to high side to prevent it from flipping. Square up to the waves, push through them, then get your weight downstream if you do get turned sideways. Constantly flipping and swimming out of a boat with an oar frame is not safe. Your gonna take an oar tower to the face one of these times.

Don't you love people sitting on their couch giving you boating advice through the internet?
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carnage