Local Runs, Elkins Wv. - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-31-2014   #1

Elkins, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 2012
Local Runs, Elkins Wv.

Im looking to see if anyone has some info on some local runs around Elkins, Wv. I go to college there and wanting to get more time on the water, but its hard to do while playing sport. If anyone has some info it'd be great and much appreciated! Also anyone that would want to join in some paddle sessions more then welcome!

Also anything other then tygart loop with "twin giants" being the only rapid on that thing..

GBraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014   #2

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
What kind of boater are you??

I have about 60 runs within a 30-40min drive from Elkins. Anything from novice class I or II whitewater to expert level class V+ like blackwater falls.

Your kinda in the headwaters in that area so water goes fast (Tygart valley falls runs alot-might be 45mins-1 hour away though?) The Tygart between Belington and Philipi has some real deal rapids....and again below Arden to the lake

The forks of the Cheat sport all sorts of levels of difficulty with some very remote runs: Shavers Fork, Glady Fork, Laurel Fork, Black Fork, Dry Fork

You have creek runs like Seneca, or Otter creek (wilderness run).

The North Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac is fun and scenic.

Maybe 45mins to an hour (esp w/ shuttle) you have the Upper Elk River runs- right above and below Webster Springs are really fun runs....also Back Fork of the Elk.

There are literally hundreds of small creeking runs to be had with big rain events in the area.

Really you aren't THAT far from the Top Gauley runs and Cheat Narrows/Canyon sections

You have the Middle Fork of the Tygart above and especially below Audra SP.

Check out American Whitewater for info on all those^^

Elkins is a great place to live if you enjoy fishing, boating and general outdoor recreation.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #3

Elkins, West Virginia
Thanks for all the info my man. Im not quite intermediate paddlr yet. Still need work on bracing and solid paddle form etc. Fine tuning everything so I can run the big or bigger stuff. Im hoping to be able to run the class IV's or so regualry and confidently by next summer.

I am familiar with Tygart Valley Falls and a few of the names you've thrown out from searching American White water with the Belington, Philipi and Arden but not being from around that area I am struggling to find the appropriate put ins.

Ill have to some more research and practice up so I can take advantage, Thanks for your input much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014   #4

Luckily there's lots good water to hone your skills on around there and work your way up.

Lemme know if you need any other info on WV or specifics. There ain't many mountaineers on this site.
Old 08-01-2014   #5

oh and put ins on the tygart are a little bit tricky to find .
Old 08-01-2014   #6

Elkins, West Virginia
Haha yeah I'm Seeing that mountaineers are a thin and few on here but can't blame them, love the PNW

Thanks again for the info I'll be sure to contact you if I have any problems, all the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 08-11-2014   #7

Raleigh, North Carolina
Check out Boatertalk. It's the Mountain Buzz of the East.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
rivermunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermunkey View Post
Check out Boatertalk. It's the Mountain Buzz of the East.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
it's worth a shot...but it's no mountainbuzz- boater talk is pretty useless unless you're a TN or GA resident (or need New or Gauley beta)
Old 08-11-2014   #9

Elkins, West Virginia
Yes BT is also filled with loads of boaters from NC