Little South Fork Poudre hike - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-20-2016   #1

Fort Collins, Chico Ca, brevard nc, California
Paddling Since: 2006
Little South Fork Poudre hike

Anyone down for a LSFP hike? Wonder how the fish habitat is up there. Could possibly just hike the lower section and look for wood. It was clean up there for a bit and a great run, but heard it got sieved up after the fire. Keeping this conversation as clean as possible. Not even using quotes.

Jhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2016   #2

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
You won't find much of a trail good luck.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016   #3

Ft Collins, Colorado
If your intent is to clean up the channel, I suspect you'd have (a LOT) more fun and a more productive time by putting a good saw in your boat, getting a very early start, and spending a few extra hours on the river removing trees. If you want to hike and fish, that's another matter.

On fishing: I've done this run many times, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone fishing outside of the first mile, the bottom mile, and a short stretch in the top half where there's a trail down to the stream (but not along it). I think hiking along the stream would be a lot of work and not all that much fun. Some areas burned intensely and you get really dirty hiking in the ashes and climbing over charred, down trees.

I didn't get on this last year, but in 2014 there were only 4 trees to portage (a HUGE improvement from the ~15 before the flossing), and I think most of these could be cut out with a couple hours effort and a good pruning saw.

Here's a trip report from 2014:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...4-a-53805.html
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2016   #4

Thanks for the trip report link. Massive day. 9.5 hrs. After norse cleaned it up we'd run it after work. put on at 730 and hit the confluence right when it was pitch black. good times. Im pretty sure cutting wood is illegal so i would never propose illegal activity on the buzz. But if one were to do it i would say it would be like a zombie attack perhaps? A portable sawzall. hand saw. tiny chain saw. Ill git up there see what i find and give some reports. Its not illegal to carry a chain saw in a kayak is it?
Old 04-23-2016   #5

Horserump, Colorado
When chainsaws are outlawed on kayakers will have chainsaws
Old 04-23-2016   #6
Adventurer

Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
Love my 20V Dewalt sawzall with a pruning blade!
Old 05-10-2016   #7

Update-i hiked little south fork to the runout of the 3rd gorge. I didnt make it to the big rapid, the double drop on the left hand corner (what ever the hell its called?) There is a guage a couple minutes up lsf and it read solid 2ft. (Is this a real time report anyone? If so where?) So as far as i went i saw one portage and lots of strainers taking up half the channel. Based on the hike, I wouldn't advise going in over 2.3 possibly 2.5, due the speed of the water, quick blind corners and... wait for it... wood. I would not roll with more than a crew of three up there right now. Just my personal opinion. I think this flow, 2ft, is good for boat abuse without catching some timber to the chest. Hopefully. I would say lsf had returned to its legendary status of being woody as f#&^. If your a bad ass ok with strainers fire it up. I was thinking of going up sat but after reading the north fork flows, that might be a better option.
Old 05-11-2016   #8

Horserump, Colorado
If you want a preview of boater hell go run the South Fork at low water. You will spend all day hitting rocks, portaging trees, and hating yourself and who ever talked you into a low water run. In boater hell you would have 100' overhanging walls and it be an eternity of bouncing off rocks. Besides when the river comes up a lot of those trees will move. By the way the trees and log jams are all part of the wilderness river experience. If you want to boat clean runs stick to the roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhit View Post
Update-i hiked little south fork to the runout of the 3rd gorge. I didnt make it to the big rapid, the double drop on the left hand corner (what ever the hell its called?) There is a guage a couple minutes up lsf and it read solid 2ft. (Is this a real time report anyone? If so where?) So as far as i went i saw one portage and lots of strainers taking up half the channel. Based on the hike, I wouldn't advise going in over 2.3 possibly 2.5, due the speed of the water, quick blind corners and... wait for it... wood. I would not roll with more than a crew of three up there right now. Just my personal opinion. I think this flow, 2ft, is good for boat abuse without catching some timber to the chest. Hopefully. I would say lsf had returned to its legendary status of being woody as f#&^. If your a bad ass ok with strainers fire it up. I was thinking of going up sat but after reading the north fork flows, that might be a better option.
Old 05-13-2016   #9

the fort, Colorado
Hit me up for the North fork! Got two us running tomorrow sat. Heath 9705815870
prozoned is offline   Reply With Quote