Little Colorado questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-29-2005   #1

Little Colorado questions

I have seen a couple of pictures of the Little Colorado on Mountainbuzz. Has anybody run this, or have any info on running it?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

jbyrd

jbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2005   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I beleive it is currently illegal to run the Little Colorado, however I am not sure on this.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I don't think it is illegal, you just have to have a permit to paddle out on the Colorado River. If there is enough water, you could run from Cameron to Blue Spring and hike out on the Blue Spring trail. Maybe have a helicopter pick you up?

rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005   #4

legend
my buddy just ran the Little c. they hiked out at desert view on the Colorado. he said the hike out made it not worth the trip. he is known for hiking long distances to get to runs. so i would trust his opinion on this matter. sounds like it would be good at about 2000+ cfs if you were meeting up with a permitted grand canyon trip and could do the whole grand canyon. also, hiking out at blue spring would cause you to miss most of the rapids as the good ones are in the last couple of miles before the confluence with the colorado.

nick
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #5

ski/kayak bum
That scenery looks great.....more beta anyone? or even contact numbers and i'll do the research to post beta?

-aaron
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #6
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
based on chorter's experience & also that of another friend who suffered on the tanner trail (desert view), we opted out of this trip when we were in AZ last week.

budget 2-3 days of paddling, mostly flatwater, in a stunningly beautiful desert canyon ... then a FULL day, & then some, for the hike out (8-12 hrs with boat & gear).

chorter sez 3,000 - 4,000 cfs would make it more tolerable & quicker. know before you go that the water is NOT filterable (too much silt & minerals). you have to carry it with you (that's a lot of water). chorter's group ran out of water & got lucky by running into a nice rafting group on the grand that hooked them up prior to the 10 hr walk up & out. couldn't imagine doing that walk w/o water.
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005   #7

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Best thing in AZ = Christopher Creek.
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005   #8
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
No doubt!
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005   #9

Yep,
I would not reccomend the run unless you were going to meet a trip on the GC and couldn't make the first 1/2. The hike out is one of the physically toughest things that I have done. There is a short section of Travertine waterfalls and it is really pretty. But not worth the heinous hike.

Steve.
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005   #10

Systems & Process Design, Colorado
That pretty blue water isn't always blue...

Picture is of Jason Roberts in Little C

and one of Bobbie

[/url]