Lightweight Cat Setup - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-08-2012   #1
td

Lightweight Cat Setup

I'm looking to add a raft to the quiver for solo play runs and 2 person self-supported (backpacker style) 2-4 day trips. If it was a good low water boat, that would be a bonus. It should also be relatively lightweight for backpacking in to places like the gunny gorge and airline travel (i.e. it can be made into a couple of packages less than 50 lbs.). The JPW cutthroat with 19" tubes and the wider frame might be a good fit and I've also thought about a culebra/paddlecat with some sort of oar frame, but they might not have the capacity for 2 people plus gear. Any other suggestions? Thanks...

td is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012   #2

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Look at jack's plastics culebra series. Pretty light(40-ish lbs), versatile, can handle big water, and I've seen them run solo and with up to 4 peeps. If the wife would let me buy anymore water toys, this would be it!

Display Products
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012   #3

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
I own a JPW Supper Cutthroat 2 with the wide frame(19" tubes 14') and it is a great low water boat and mini gear hauler. It could easily handle what you are talking about.

That having been said, for airline travel and packing it in it would be a bit bulky and the frame is a bit of a pain to put together. I would take a hard look at a Culebra or Shredder. With 2 people you could R2 it down some pretty gnarly stuff and I have seen people rig up some fairly simple oar frames for them.

The last thing I would want to do after packing my raft and gear down some hot trail into a canyon is to spend an hour putting my frame together and getting it rigged on the tubes. With a paddle cat you could just blow it up, strap on the dry bags and go.

Damn, now I want one.....
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012   #4

Leavenworth, Washington
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by td View Post
I'm looking to add a raft to the quiver for solo play runs and 2 person self-supported (backpacker style) 2-4 day trips. If it was a good low water boat, that would be a bonus. It should also be relatively lightweight for backpacking in to places like the gunny gorge and airline travel (i.e. it can be made into a couple of packages less than 50 lbs.). The JPW cutthroat with 19" tubes and the wider frame might be a good fit and I've also thought about a culebra/paddlecat with some sort of oar frame, but they might not have the capacity for 2 people plus gear. Any other suggestions? Thanks...
One word, and one word only.....

SHREDDER!

-Dan
GBWW is offline   Reply With Quote