LETTER TO MY SENATOR - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-22-2010   #1

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
LETTER TO MY SENATOR

I have posted this letter to my Senator in the local newspapers and others. I encourage all of you to research just where your congress people are on the right to float issue. Any who took no stand of voted against it should be voted out, especially if they are running this fall. A little research and a few local letters will make a big difference. This issue is not settled because our legistlature is a bunch of cowards and we need to do all we can to change that. Thanks

Dear Senator Schwartz,
I am sorry that I could not attend your appreciation gathering in Crested Butte this past week. I really wanted to speak with you and let you know what I thought of your last year in office. I decided to write you this quick note and also submit it in the local papers for those who I could not speak with at your gathering.
This past fall, two of our local businesses were sent a letter from a wealthy, non-resident, stating that they were to stop doing business as they had been for the last 25+years or else he would sue them out of business. These local businesses went to their state representative from the House and convinced her, Kathleen Curry, to sponsor a bill that would protect their rights as they stand today. They were not asking for anything that wasn’t already their rights under criminal law, yet they did not have the resources to go up against this wealthy non-resident in civil court. Kathleen sponsored HB-1188, called by some the “right to float” bill. This bill quickly passed through the House and into the Senate. It was not without its opposition; the stock growers and farmers across the state spoke out against it, as well as the Creek side Coalition. So we have Agriculture and wealthy landowners on one side, on the other were the majority of residents in the State.
On March 19th I contacted your office concerning this issue. It seems that you decided not to be present for the debate or vote after the bill made it out of committee. This puzzled me because the businesses involved were from your district. One way or another, we deserved your representation. Scott Wozencraft, an aide from your office responded to me, and I quote,” Senator Schwartz regrets that her schedule made it impossible to be present for the debate and vote, and the opportunity to advocate on behalf of the bill and the rafting industry, but as it happened, her vote would not have altered the outcome.”
Perhaps your vote would not have altered the outcome, perhaps it would have. The majority of Senators were ready to vote for the bill when the Senate President killed it. By not publicly participating you did us all a huge injustice.
I also find it interesting that you claim that you wanted to advocate on behalf of the bill and the rafting industry, yet as soon as the bill died the Senate President appointed you to one of the most powerful committees in the Senate, The Agriculture Committee. How could you have been in support of HB-1188 and end up on the Committee that represents everyone who was against it?? It seems to me you were rewarded for keeping your mouth shut and letting the bill die.
You even called me, and told me that you were going to do everything you could to support the right to float through private property, then you “lost” service and must never have gotten it back, you still have never responded to any of my calls to finish the conversation.
I am curious to see just who donates to your reelection campaign, ranchers, out of state landowners, Lewis Shaw, Dick Bratton, Marcus Lock, the Creek side Coalition?????????
Thank you for making my decision on whom to vote for this fall easy, I would rather vote for a blind, deaf, 3-legged dog than see you re-elected; at least then we could follow the leash and see who is really running “OUR” representative in the Senate.
Jack Barker
Gunnison

outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010   #2

Crested Butte, Colorado
I also find it interesting that you claim that you wanted to advocate on behalf of the bill and the rafting industry, yet as soon as the bill died the Senate President appointed you to one of the most powerful committees in the Senate, The Agriculture Committee. How could you have been in support of HB-1188 and end up on the Committee that represents everyone who was against it?? It seems to me you were rewarded for keeping your mouth shut and letting the bill die.
You even called me, and told me that you were going to do everything you could to support the right to float through private property, then you “lost” service and must never have gotten it back, you still have never responded to any of my calls to finish the conversation.
I am curious to see just who donates to your reelection campaign, ranchers, out of state landowners, Lewis Shaw, Dick Bratton, Marcus Lock, the Creek side Coalition?????????
Thank you for making my decision on whom to vote for this fall easy, I would rather vote for a blind, deaf, 3-legged dog than see you re-elected; at least then we could follow the leash and see who is really running “OUR” representative in the Senate.
Old 07-22-2010   #3

Crested Butte, Colorado
quote,” Senator Schwartz regrets that her schedule made it impossible to be present for the debate and vote, and the opportunity to advocate on behalf of the bill and the rafting industry, but as it happened, her vote would not have altered the outcome.”
Perhaps your vote would not have altered the outcome, perhaps it would have. The majority of Senators were ready to vote for the bill when the Senate President killed it. By not publicly participating you did us all a huge injustice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010   #4

Crested Butte, Colorado
Old 07-22-2010   #5

Crested Butte, Colorado
It took me a while but I finally got it all there. Later
Old 07-22-2010   #6

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
hey it would help if you used a font that we all could see, or is there a way to change the view settings?
thanks
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #7

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
just use your mouse to highlight the text then it has enough contrast.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010   #8

glenwood springs, Colorado
"Thank you for making my decision on whom to vote for this fall easy, I would rather vote for a blind, deaf, 3-legged dog than see you re-elected; at least then we could follow the leash and see who is really running “OUR” representative in the Senate."

ha ha ha ... nice letter! Pretty indicative of most politicians today, they make a career out of "serving" and only really serve themselves.
Old 07-22-2010   #9

Crested Butte, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by oarframe View Post
hey it would help if you used a font that we all could see, or is there a way to change the view settings?
thanks

I guess I am not a computer savy as I could be, the letter is a combo of all three posts that can be read, the highlighting works to. Thanks
Old 07-22-2010   #10

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Senators and reps only care about the money cuz they can still convince enough western Coloradoans that it is a private property "rights" issue to get elected. I suggest they stop collecting property tax high water to high water. Now that is something no politician will support!
melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote