Let's see it Jackson! - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-21-2012   #1

up north, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Let's see it Jackson!

Ok, I have allowed enough time not to be rude now, but lets see some specs of that proto I kept missing while it was running around Mt, and Id. From what I hear it looks super edgy with a semi displacement. Sounds like my kind of boat, and the way a lot of modern boats seem to b e going. One thing I would really like to see (and would convince me to buy another Jackson) is a boat for people like me who seem to be right at the top end of the wight range for medium boats and bottom end for large boats. How abouts an 87 gallon 8'6"er? Specs? Photos?? The public awaits and the news has leaked.

Hydrobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012   #2

Boise, Idaho
I just heard about this today.

I like the Zen, but not enough to want to buy it (don't know what it would be good for); and I kinda like the Villain, but I keep hearing of this boat being a mix between the two.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I am digging the Zen. It is super fast and I love the edges. I've run it on a few harder runs like Bailey and Poudre narrows. It is very comfortable and surfs better than a creek boat. Did I mention it is fast?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012   #4

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Howdy! Been off the buzz a lot this year due to crazy schedule, but was thankfully alerted to this thread. Hydro, you are so on it in your description, it's a bit uncanny.
So, we are announcing this at OR, and I don't want to get too much into it here and steal our anticipated launch (just next week), but suffice to say, that what is on hear so far (above this post) is all accurate.
The Zen is genuinely unique for our typical design and it had really altered the direction of future designs here at JK. That boat is fast as hell (as evidenced by a flurry of top 3 positions at down river/creek racing recently) but also lives up to the name by providing an incredible effect of being able to steer through rapids (both hard or easy) by using edge control techniques that leave quite a zen like experience. Suffice to say, that due to these winning attributes, we are building on its success.

Sorry to be allusive... But please understand that we have the world stage of outdoor sports happening next week and I don't want to let on before that. I assure everyone that there is about to be an amazingly fast creek boat coming that will be quite a departure from anything we have done at JK in the past. As a creek boater, I can only tell you it's got me quite excited.... The villain is by far my favorite all time steep creek boat. I swear on my soul that if I was VP of sales for a competing brand, I would still have to admit that JK nailed it with that design... That said, there are aspects to every boat that can be improved and we appear to have taken some bold steps that really panned out with this addition to our lineup. BIG WATER, here we come!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrobait
Ok, I have allowed enough time not to be rude now, but lets see some specs of that proto I kept missing while it was running around Mt, and Id. From what I hear it looks super edgy with a semi displacement. Sounds like my kind of boat, and the way a lot of modern boats seem to b e going. One thing I would really like to see (and would convince me to buy another Jackson) is a boat for people like me who seem to be right at the top end of the wight range for medium boats and bottom end for large boats. How abouts an 87 gallon 8'6"er? Specs? Photos?? The public awaits and the news has leaked.
Proto? Can you give us a little more info on what you've heard?
Old 07-22-2012   #6

up north, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo View Post
Proto? Can you give us a little more info on what you've heard?
A buddy saw it on Kootanai Creek, only beta is it looked super edgy and a bit shorter then the Villain. Said it still looked like it had a fair bit of rocker though, so not a Zen....
Hydrobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012   #7

Boulder, Colorado
After hearing more about this boat, I am very excited to see/paddle it. Lots of similarities to the Zen, but sounds very different than any present boat design...

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #8

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Hmmm... Perhaps a NW special creekboat. Big water (compared to the SE) for big creeks. I haven't been happy with what I consider the sloppy handling of Jackson's creek boats in big water, so maybe they have a fix in the works.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #9
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
New All Star!

Tell me there's a new All Star. Something inbetween the Old Fun and the Old All Star. A loopy play boat that will run rivers... Come on Marty. Please JK!!!
Old 07-24-2012   #10
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Tell me there's a new All Star. Something inbetween the Old Fun and the Old All Star. A loopy play boat that will run rivers... Come on Marty. Please JK!!!
I (special ordered) a brand new 2012 superstar this summer...which is really a 2010 superstar,with 2012 outfitting, i guess handbuilt in june for me. I am frickin stoked on it. I really did not like the rockstar. its the first JK i've ever paddled that wasn't friendly. I guess i am not expert enough for it, but i am sure familiar with boats that i cant roll well. thats a bad feeling...

But back to the superstar...such an awesome boat... LOVE IT. i am sure i'll have a highwater learning curve with it, but it is so stable, responsive and pops ends like nothing i've ever been in. and rolls up every time. i feel like i will be able to learn some new stuff in this boat for sure....it is a winning design, and should be updated, although i don't even know what it would need...its good enough for me as is. IT is the flagship design. for sure.

Anyway i am stoked to hear about a new creeking design coming out as well...that would throw a wrench in my plans to get a self support boat like a rogue, in addition to my superhero...
abron is offline   Reply With Quote