Lees Ferry - fishing and upstream travel question - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-11-2009   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Lees Ferry - fishing and upstream travel question

Any of you fished this before? Am interested in getting down there, but would prefer to hike it. Is the access too limited? Any access other than from Lees Ferry. What about working up in a kayak or canoe against the current?

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I haven't fished that stretch (it's on the list) but I understand that it's jet boat up and drift back down with limited wading possibilities on some sandbars. I don't know firsthand, but it sounds like the current might be a little stout for paddling.
Old 09-11-2009   #3

cedar city, Utah
I've fished the Paria riffle and had some moderate luck (was a newbie so I think this bodes well). There is a trail up canyon but the fishing access is a little difficult from the shore. You will be looking at a steady release of 10,000 cfs over the next two months and this winter looks like it will be even bigger.
Could be a difficult paddle up. Some folks take small motors but I have no first hand knowledge of this. Several of the day rafting companies are known to offer tag-along options up to the damn. They also rent flat bottom river boats in the area.

No other easy access that I am aware of. Though let me know if you have any luck, closest tail water fishery to me.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009   #4

cedar city, Utah
People are known to hike in lower in the canyon to fish places like Bager, Soap Creek rapid, etc. Several slot canyons offer this option. A little more adventurous but I have heard mixed opinions on the quality of fishing. More solitude as the Paria Riffle can be a little busy on a weekend.
Old 09-12-2009   #5

Park City, Utah
What about dropping in over the side on a rope. Anyone know if it is more than a one rope pitch? I'd drop in a boat and then paddle down to the various shallow sand bars. The idea of motor boating up just takes something out of a fly fishing adventure for me.
Old 09-13-2009   #6

cedar city, Utah
Waterholes is a fairly popular slot canyon now adays but requires 300 foot + rappel (ie 600 feet of cord). I believe everything else in the area is just as big. I think you may be able to find a way in from Thousand Holes/Pockets (West side) but that would be an adventure unto itself.

Post a question to the canyons yahoogroup, someone there may know of a sneak route. People are exploring this area pretty heavily now a days.

I could be mistaken but I don't think there is a company that allows you to be shuttled down the access road to the dam. I think that is just at Hoover for the kayak through Black Canyon. Might be worth a call for certain though.

Best of luck.

Phillip
Old 09-13-2009   #7

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
Back in the seventies, I used to follow a route down the canyon walls to the river about one mile downstream of the dam. The trailhead is accessed by turning onto a dirt road under the power lines just past the dam on the Kanab side. I recall deep sand on this short road so getting stuck is a possibility. A small boat could be humped down that trail without ropes best as I can recall. The Page locals call it the rope trail.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #8

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1975
Jackass Canyon is the way to go. Great fisihing, watch out for the poison ivy!
Rockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #9

Park City, Utah
Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get doewn their in October for the rainbow spawn and I'll report back. It will be an interesting little adventure. Looks like daily flows in the 10K range. That's some big water for whatI understand is a class II section. If anyone has a guide book they would recomend for the river bed and where the wadable sand bars are I am open. I need to figure out if you can beach a kayak or anchor. Maybe I'll bring down a canoe depending on what additional info I find.