Lee's ferry arrests - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-21-2009   #1

alta, Utah
Lee's ferry arrests

Group Arrested at Lee's Ferry | River Runners For Wilderness

As many of you know, on january 27th of 2007.... 5 members of a private group putting on the Grand for a 30 day trip were arrested at Lee's ferry for possession of a controlled substance. Apparently, a disgruntled associate provided a "tip" to NPS rangers who in turn subjected their gear to the nose of drug detecting canine. Friend of a friend believes that an atmosphere of suspicion, drug-dog patrols, and regular searches of gear are common-place at the Lee's ferry put-in. I haven't been down to Lee's ferry to see for myself.....but, I find his description of the environment down there hard to believe. Thought that I would put this question out there for you buzzards to comment on.

barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009   #2

need to fill a spot on a grand permit adverstisment probably started this.
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #3

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I remember that very well....and it occurred just a little over a month before our launch date of March 5th, 07. I was curious what the atmosphere would be like (it was my first trip). It was pretty laid back all things considered. The ranger was pretty serious about basic trip stuff, but there certainly weren't any dogs or sheriff officers. Same scenario when we launched this past November as well......

I'm sure if they have reason to believe......(i.e. a douchebag that's pissed he's not on the trip).......it would be quite different.

Sad sad story for the other trip participants and I think it's B.S. Guilty by association??? The entire story is B.S. Big friggen deal....not like there could possibly be any "intent to sell".
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009   #4
sj

I,ve talked with Ranger a freind about this that works in the area. She feels the Park was put in a position that left them no choice. They are not as a whole looking for this kind of confrontation according to my sources. They enjoyed the buzz thread at HQ

I have said it before there is a time for civil disobediance and a time for discretion. Boaters have enough trouble in the Grand.

I allegedly have a freind that has partook for about 30 years, did 90 Grand launches and NEVER had any trouble with the law anywhere anytime. So just one slightly connected guys opinion. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #5

I this possible?

on the Grand for a 30 day trip
Old 01-21-2009   #6

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I keep 3 ounces in a balloon stashed up my ass, pipe too.

Who wan smoke some ganja wit bob, come down!

edit: It's good sh!t. ha
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Man, what a bummer for the others if that included the permit holder in the bust. Whether or not those "others" participate or not, imagine being ready to launch, "trip of a lifetime", and the whole trip is shut down. Wow. I would have lost it myself!

I found the Rangers to be very good, except for one small hassle with a motor and a non-licensed boat (state or FWP regs), we were fine. that was our groups fault too, or the one who had the motor, and didn't know the motor-craft licensing regs for their own state!

Vindictive people are a waste of food. Just like those at Obama's inauguration flipping off Bush, why waste your energy on hate?

30 day trip = winter
Old 01-21-2009   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
bob that was fucking wrong man..........
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #9

30 day trip = winter

if you sacrafice a virgin do you get to bring as much bob butt weed as you want?
Old 01-21-2009   #10

x, x
Paddling Since: x
It's called "balloon weed" you can't get poop on the stash man, but the "butt pipe", now that's a differant story. We roll joints at camp....Plus I can think of three reasons not to sacrafice that virgin.

1. idustrial lube is expensive
2. they will question the trashbags and duct tape
3. they are hard to stash up your ass
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote