leash for river knife? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-29-2008   #1

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
leash for river knife?

reading about the recent strainer rescue and thinking about previous snag incidents (kevlar skirt rims), I'm thinking it might be a good idea to put a short leash on my knife--I'm thinking that with rushing water, cold, stiff, fingers, panic--oops, just dropped my only chance to unsnag myself from this branch/rebar/rope/etc.

I know you should just not drop the damn thing, and I know that there is the bear claw thing w/ a hole in it (which was already discussed how they fall off, and I lost one so not gettin' another), but like everybody says, shit goes bad real fast on the water.

any thoughts?

anyway, seems like a short, 2-3 ft, easily breakable, securely bundled, string would be useful, but I don't think I've ever seen anything other than a rubber band (a la Mike Mathers) tethering anybody's knife.

In a situation like the recent duckier in salida, had it been somewhere not so near a lot of paddlers, and if the person had a knife but dropped it, that would suck real bad.

I'm glad the woman was rescued--kind of sheds a little light on the "'bout lost my life" discussion also, about selflessness in a real emergency.

Jay

Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Rubber band is best. I like the thick ones from the Sunday paper.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Bad idea

I don't think I would want a loose knife dangling by a string attached to me as I bumped against objects in a river, so that it could stab me in the heart or eye or something. Just get a knife with a secure sheath lock and don't drop it.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008   #4

Golden, Colorado
Get the bear claw knife. Every river knife gets lost, not just Bear Claws. I have lost at LEAST 5 river knives and only one of those was a Bear Claw. If I go a few seasons without losing a knife I'm happy. It is what happens when you get worked on the rocks.

The trigger hole on the bear claw is key. It saved my buddy's life a few years ago. I would not carry ANY OTHER knife. They are popular in the crew I paddle with because its design was credited with a save of one of our own. It is easier to securely hold onto a trigger hole design when your hands are completely numb, like when you are snagged in the middle of a river and have to cut your skirt off like my buddy did.

Either use a rubber band or tape the knife in. I found the rubber bands wear out from hitting rocks, logs and the other abuse that my chest goes through while creeking so I tape my knife in. I use just enough tape around the sheath and handle to grip the knife so it won't fall out but I can still easily pull it out.

If I lose it I go buy another one. They are only $35 and I spent a lot more on the other stuff I lose and destroy every season.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #5

Golden, Colorado
The rubber band isn't to tether the knife in. It is to hold it securely in its sheath.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #6

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ture View Post
The rubber band isn't to tether the knife in. It is to hold it securely in its sheath.
i'll second the rubber band method. just make sure you swap it out every season so it doesn't disintegrate on you
Old 05-29-2008   #7

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Carry a back up, mine is in my PFD pocket and still easily accesible. Agree on the bearclaw as it is one of mine.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Yeah, a rubber band to keep the knife in the sheath is different than a 2-3 foot cord where you would have a sharp knife loosly affixed to your body.

anyway, seems like a short, 2-3 ft, easily breakable, securely bundled, string would be useful, but I don't think I've ever seen anything other than a rubber band (a la Mike Mathers) tethering anybody's knife.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #9

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
I third the Bear Claw, I once went toe to toe with the a Grizzly. After being a lil' squeaks scolari and playing dead for five minutes, I decided to sack up. I whipped out my CRT Bear Claw faster than a truck driver in a bathroom stall with a lounge lizard, I then proceeded to give the Grizzly what he needed. A good ol' fashioned knife/claw fight. Even though I was outnumberd 10 to 1 in claw to knife ratio, I am here today and Grizzly Adams doesn't have a beard anymore.

Here is a link to what the fight looked like:
Beat It - Michael Jackson - Music Videos - SPIKE
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #10

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
yeah, I guess this is a solution in search of a problem, considering the risk of a snag compared to the risks of the leash coming loose on a swim, pulling the knife off, stabbing the heart or eye, etc....

I guess the moral is: don't drop yer fucking knife!

Thanks!
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote