Lay over sites on the Grand Canyon - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-23-2012   #1

Telluride, Colorado
Lay over sites on the Grand Canyon

Hey Guys,
I was just wondering what some of the best layover day spots are on the river, maybe near some waterfalls or ruins? We were thinking of hiking in to Havasu, but know that it is 8 miles one way to the falls. Has anyone done it? Was it worth it? Thanks for your input. Thee Hutch

hutch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012   #2

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Go long at Tuckup Canyon. It's a shady camp but the canyon is amazing. The Redwall narrows up there is one of my favorite places in the canyon.
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012   #3

Denver / Coloma / Monterey, CO / CA
Paddling Since: 1971
Havasu: No layovers as you can't camp at the mouth. Also, Mooney Falls, the prettiest one, is only 5 miles from the river.

Deer Creek is a great layover if you can get the camp across from the mouth, river left just upstream of the rapid. That way you can hike Deer Creek to Surprise Valley to Thunder River and back on your layover day. If there is another private on the same schedule and they get that camp, stay just downstream at OC's and ask to use their boats to ferry across (you can walk up to their camp in about 5 minutes).

Tuckup is nice too, as mentioned.

If you camp at the Matkat Hotel you can hike back up to Matkat and spend the whole day there. Bring the musical instruments!

Same at Blacktail, one of my favorites.

Rattlesnake Camp has a great hike up to the Tabernacle. Makes for a nice layover the day before the inner gorge rapids.

If you want to talk more details feel free to PM me. I worked there for years and just got back from a 24 day trip this weekend.

Kyle Kovalik
Kyle K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012   #4

Wheeler, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
I second deer creek. That was our last layover. Kanab cyn also has great long hikes.
boogercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012   #5

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Camp at Thunder creek or Deer creek. Hike the loop. The book says that there isn't a loop, but 2 from our group last month did it. They said the hike along the river was pretty exposed. I hiked down just below Thunder where another group was camping and we got a ride to Deer creek with them and hiked back to Thunder. It was the highlight of my trip. PM me if you want some details.
Old 10-24-2012   #6

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogercookie View Post
I second deer creek. That was our last layover. Kanab cyn also has great long hikes.
Yes, Kanab is a fine long walk. But, keep in mind that camping at its mouth is prohibited. If you do, and get caught, there's big trouble! Rangers do patrol the river.

I think there is a small camp about a quarter mile above Kanab, on the left, and a larger one about a half mile below Kanab, on the right. Can't say what they are like and how flow levels might change their sizes.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012   #7

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Stone Creek RM 131.5) is another lay over choice; short walk to the waterfall and/or a longer hike to the "end"; agave roasting pits can be seen along the creek bed.
Old 10-24-2012   #8

Denver / Coloma / Monterey, CO / CA
Paddling Since: 1971
The camp below Kanab on river right is called "Sticks" by the guides and "Below Kanab Camp" in the Tom Martin book. Regardless of what you call it you can't get back to Kanab Canyon from there. It's not a bad camp though, if you wanted to do a long Kanab hike and then just go a short 1/2 mile on the water. Note: The camp above Kanab is pretty much gone. I sure couldn't find anything worthy when I was looking a few weeks ago.

Stone Canyon is great. Big beach to camp on below Dubendorff and it's super cool if you hike all the way to the third falls. You can also hike back over a saddle and return to the river upstream of Dubie then hike the river back to camp. Makes a nice loop.

Alternative for Tapeats/Thunder/Deer, if you don't think the camp across from the mouth of Deer Creek for a layover will be open:
(Note: Camp above Tapeats on river left at Talking Heads or just above Tapeats on river right at Race Track.)
1. Have half of your folks start at Tapeats, hike up to Thunder River then keep going across Surprise Valley and down Dear Creek to the river. This should be the slower hikers in your group.
2. Have your faster hikers take half of the rafts down to Deer Creek and reverse the hike back up to Tapeats.
3. The original hikers from Tapeats to Deer pick up the rafts when they get to the river and row on down to camp.
4. The reverse hikers bring down the remaining boats from Tapeats to camp, which will likely be one of the 4 camps just below Deer Creek (OC's, Pancho's, Football Field or Big Eddy). I like OC's best personally but it's a drag hauling the kitchen way up the sand hill. Best frisbee/bocci camp going though.

Another great layover is Bass Camp. There is an upper and a lower camp. I prefer the lower but make sure it's open before you pass the upper! It can be hard to see boats at the lower from the upper, so stop and hike the 200 yards down just to be sure. You can hike up to the old Bass Camp (up Shinumo Creek, not the river camps). My favorite way is to hike over the saddle behind the river camps (go north, away from the river) and drop into Shinumo just before the Bass Camp. Then hike back by heading down the creek itself. You'll get to a trail out over a saddle on your left about a 1/4 mile before the creek hits the river. You can extend your day by hiking down to the creek mouth for a nice little canyon and waterfall. You'll have to double back to the 1/4 mile trail though as you can't hike back up to camp from the creek mouth even though it's only 200 yards upstream.

Have fun!
Kyle K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012   #9

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle K View Post
Another great layover is Bass Camp. There is an upper and a lower camp. ...Shinumo Creek... You can extend your day by hiking down to the creek mouth for a nice little canyon and waterfall. You'll have to double back to the 1/4 mile trail though as you can't hike back up to camp from the creek mouth even though it's only 200 yards upstream. !
We had our Day 10&11 layover at Lower Bass in 2007. Great location!
Some did the hike but a several of us just paddled down to the Shinumo mouth in IKs and shore eddy hopped back after hanging out in, on, under, and around the beautiful waterfall and pool.
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012   #10

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Lower Bass...awesome Bocci and Horseshoe area, good hike to waterfall and great shade and sun.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote