Late to the party - what's running next week? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-29-2008   #1
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
Late to the party - what's running next week?

We're planning to pass through Colorado for a few days next Wed through the weekend. What should be good?

Big South says medium on the gauge. What does 220 out of the res equate to on the foot gauge?

Any chance Lake Creek will turn back up to a reasonable level?

Bailey and Gore are pretty sure things, I guess.

Crystal Gorge coming in soon?

What are everyone's August 6-10th predictions?

Leland

Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
The guys that operate the res above the big south said they would be releasing for all of august, I'd expect similar release levels next week. The rock gauge was at 2.75 before they bumped the flow down a tad. Maybe its 2.5 right now? I'd expect a nice medium/low flow next week.
Gore will definitely be running. Bailey has had a great season and releases are good right now. Never know when they will adjust it though. My gut feel is that flows on bailey will continue to be good as denver has had a very dry year so far and the reservoirs have been pretty full this year.

Definitely still lots of good paddling right now.

Have a good trip!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Cheeseman is low but still good, that should be on you list right up there with big south.
No BC this year?
-Tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008   #4

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Poudre narrows will be good. Yule, maybe upper crystal gorge, doubtful of the inner gorge. Big South likely will remain a good medium/low. Pandora's Box by durango. Cheeseman is a lot like the Big South with half the rapids, all of which contain shitty sieve piles, twice the flatwater, a terrible shuttle and an added bonus this year of an intense 3 mile uphill hike. So there Tom. Leland and Tom, drop me a line with your plans. I'm off fri/sat.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #5

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Late to the party??? You guys ARE the party!

Let me know if something social happens while you are around as I can't keep up on the water.

Laurie
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #6
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Cheeseman is low but still good, that should be on you list right up there with big south.
No BC this year?
-Tom
We'd like to do BC, but I think the levels are pretty low up there due to chilly weather and some heat earlier in the summer that melted off a lot of their snow. I'm not sure, but the Cheakamus is pretty low right now. Maybe Rogers would be running, but a low Cheak means probably low Callaghan, and I know Cayoosh ran out early this year too since that side of the hill had low snow. We're also pretty burnt out from being on the road since April other than one week we spent back at the ranch in early May. We've got to get home and recover if we're gonna make a strong showing at Gauley season. A couple of weeks sitting on the couch in the AC watching HD and sipping milk thistle cocktails should do the trick.

We're lapping Little White a few more times through the weekend, then we're heading to Colorado for a little fun on the way home. Big South is at the top of the list since Andria hasn't done it and it's a classic. Cheesman is kinda fun, but it's a lot of work to boat though a shitpile of rock sieves. What's up with the takeout road this year - no 4x4 fun?

I guess I ultimately see a Big South, a Gore, a Bailey and then a drive home in our future. If the Crystal drops to good levels for the inner gorge I might detour over there, but that seems like a long shot at this point. I wish Lake would turn back on, but I guess that's probably not going to happen?

Keck, you're up next Fri. or Sat. Shoot me your phone number since I'm totally disorganized and have no idea where I put it.

And don't worry Laurie - we'll bring the party to 303 before we head home. Hope to see all of our friends on the way through CO!!

L
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #7

Seattle, Washington
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Hey Leland,
Lake is still going. It has all kinds of wild fluctuations, but it's generally running 350 right now. That's pretty much perfect for the bottom 4 IMO, but I know some like it with a lot more spice. I could be into that on friday if we're headed to Yule.... Or maybe it'll be another Big South mission for me.... Drop me a line,
Joe
303 594 9733

P.S. yep, the forest service caught onto our little 4x4 game and shut'er down. If there's any van that can make it, it'd be your rig for sure...
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #8

Student
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
What? Cheesman has sieves? Haha

Joe, that's probably a fairly accurate description of cheesman. That being said, I still love it! You should try it at like 400cfs; it's still a lot of work and scary but the rapids are better. Maybe one of these days I'll talk you into it.
Old 07-30-2008   #9
Arn

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Big T

Big Thompson is still running 406 cfs yesterday. This is unheard of that it is running right now. The upper class V section is stout and an awesome run. Get on it for something new, you wont be dissapointed.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Bluegrass is going good
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote