Late Summer Runs? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-28-2006   #1

Late Summer Runs?

Alright, so I know we've always got Gore, Shoshone, Westwater, Lower Blue, the Ark till the 15 (and the Gorge longer) and probably Bailey, but I'm looking at few of the less common good late summer/fall runs.

Bluegrass Creek: When does this start running? What are good flows (the number says it's around 350 now)? How's the private land put-in fiasco? Is there any camping nearby?

Northgate Canyon: Supposedly this runs into August, but it's pretty low right now. What are the minimum flows for this one?

I've heard there's some good fall runs in the southern half of WY. Any input (COLDFEAR, etc.?) or recommended guidebooks? Anything else worth a short roadtrip in the neighboring states?

Anything else I'm missing/should know about?

Thanks,
COUNT

COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2006   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
The Big Thompson sometimes runs late summer, if we're lucky. Keep your eye on rainfall in the San Juans; it doesn't take much to get Lime going, and I've boated the Piedra in October. Others that occasionally get Fall flows-

Elevenmile
Upper Taos Box
Gunni Gorge

Then, of course, there's Mexico.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #3

oh yeah
also cheesman, the rockwood box, and the black canyon of the gunnison.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2006   #4

steamboat, Colorado
pumphouse, foxton, westwater, the playpark in Rock Springs, WY, sections of the Snake in WY and ID are sorta close too. . .
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #5

Cody, Wyoming
The Shoshone here in Cody runs untill October 15th and after that it goes to winter level which is still fun but not as big. The Lower Clarks Fork and the honemoon run can be boated untill October obviously they are low but still very worthwhile. The Pots on the upper stillwater are running for awhile and there is a hidden creek called Little Rock creek that's starting to run now.

Right now is really a great time for boating in Cody they are plenty of rivers to choose from, also if your coming from CO you can hit up the Casper Whitewater park which is at a great level right now.

Aaron
Core Mountain Sports
Cody, Wy
www.coldfear.com
COLDFEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #6

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I don't know who told you Northgate runs into August, but they are incorrect. That stretch of the North Platte has been done by the first week in July for the past 6 or 7 seasons. You have May - June on that puppy.

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #7

Thanks guys. According to the Bible, the season for Northgate is May-August, but I didn't recall seeing it run in August recently.

Never done Lime, is there a guage for it or just visual?

I'm planning on a Wyoming trip sometime (Cody, hopefully, but it's so far north I'm not sure when I can make it). I'm not sure which of those runs I want to do, you mind giving me some brief beta on some (just class and character)?

Where exactly is Elevenmile and what's it like?

Still no beta on Blugrass? C'mon guys.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006   #8

Eleven Mile is on the So Platte above Lake George,it is like a tighter version of Foxton technical 3/3+ type stuff only sandwiched beyween class 5 rapids at top and bottom,I think you need apx 250- 300 cfs,it's all roadside in a state park ,so you have to pay if you don't have the pass.Also the place is infested with fishermen,so i'd go on a weekday.Have scouted but never done it ,would like to PM if you see it flowing.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Lime is strictly visual, especially during the fall rains. If it looks like they might get a stretch of afternoon monsoon rains, it would be worth the drive up there to check flows- if you live down there or are visiting. As a general rule, there's enough water to boat Lime if there's barely enough water to float the shallow section at the top (just north of Molas off 550, on Lime Creek road).
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote