Late March Desert Booze Cruise - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-03-2009   #1
bth

Late March Desert Booze Cruise

I live atop a mountain at 10,000+ feet- and even on these days that approach 70 degrees in Denver, the snowdrift outside my front door seems to grow. As a result, now that I've flipped the calendar over to February, my mind is starting to spend more and more time adrift in a desert canyon.

I'm a teacher, and my spring break is late this year- the last week in March into the first week of April. I'm thinking of getting out on a quick float trip for some warmth, but need suggestions- I dont think Deso or Ruby/Horsethief, etc. fairly close to home will be warm enough- esp. for the young kids that I'd be taking, and I'm thinking of heading south.

Any suggestions? Has anyone done the White River...do you recommend it? What about AZ? Is it worth the drive from the Denver area to the Verde or other runs down that way? I feel like I must be missing a "hidden gem" of late spring warmth as a gentle float. Can you enlighten me??

bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I have a fam/kids san juan trip/permit for that week but its full already. I think this is the warm gentle float you are dreaming of.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #3
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I don't know if it's a "gem" as it's not at all remote (float through downtown Laughlin at one point), but the Davis to Parker section of the Colorado will be warm, gentle, flowing, and some sections will have cool scenery.

Check out this guide:
http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/DavistoPa...istoParker.pdf
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
San Juan is for sure the best option, if you can pick up a permit (should be easy enough). But you might also check out the Chama, or the Ute Mountain stretch on the Rio Grande.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You could always raft the Colorado From Diamond Creek to Lake Mead. The Halalupai fees suck, but it is part of the Grand Canyon and no permit needed. About 15 hours from D-town.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I highly recommend the diamond down trip. If I lived closer, I'd do that every year. Just a couple "decent" size rapids (meaning fairly large), I don't know how capable your kids are in bigger whitewater.
Old 02-04-2009   #7

x, x
Paddling Since: x
how can you do diamond to lake mead with out a permit? up to a certain date or something? I called and was told it is permit only 2+ weeks in advance plus fees.

I would like to take the wife in late march. I would love to do that stretch. I will look into it more, any help is appreciated.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #8

cedar city, Utah
I have been wanting to that stretch for a while now but the fees are so prohibitive. Hualapi is charging $60 per person, vehicle, and trailer. That includes shuttle drivers and their vehicles. With shuttle the trip was going to run $250-$300 a person just for the fees. Ouch, decided on other runs instead.

Permits are needed year round, and I think they only allow a couple launches a day. That said they are not hard to obtain and are free. Check the riverwire for updated campsites (tammies and sand bank issues). Photos of the new rapids look interesting. Best of luck.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #9

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
how can you do diamond to lake mead with out a permit? up to a certain date or something? I called and was told it is permit only 2+ weeks in advance plus fees.

I would like to take the wife in late march. I would love to do that stretch. I will look into it more, any help is appreciated.
The permit is a bit of a formality, as you pretty much just need to call and get one, the word on the street is that they are always available.