land-slide on lower blue - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-07-2008   #1

saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1980
land-slide on lower blue

There was a land-slide on lower blue Saturday morning that has completely blocked the river. The slide occurred on Blue Valley Ranch property so the portage is questionable. I was able to get around the debris without getting out of my raft but if the level decreases it will not be possible. It will take some time for the debris to get cleared out by machines and am curious about future floats. If anyone travels up or down hwy 9 you can see the slide from the road. It was a couple of hundred feet wide and started from the top of the ridge. It had to be from an under ground spring that is now able to be seen cascading over solid rock. There might be a cool water-fall that forms here if it keeps flowing. The water north of the slide was muddy all day but might clear out over the next few days.

This doesn't change the kayakers float but any anglers or rafters going to trough road be warned. I'm not sure on CO laws about portaging natural obstuctions... but know that the blue valley ranchers don't like folks stepping on their dirt. Also be aware of any seeps coming from steep hill-sides... this could happen again.

rmpeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008   #2
ITS GONNA BE BIG!!!!

DIllon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Where is the slide at? Below Green Mt correct?
Old 06-08-2008   #3

saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1980
How's the shoulder shady? been thinkin' about you and the rehab and wonderin' how it's been goin'. Yeah the slide was about 6-7 miles from the spring creek take out. You can see it from the road. Just a bit up from the main Blue River Valley Ranch head-quarters main gate. No worries for kayakers takin out at spring creek but something for anglers and those interested in the earth.
rmpeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008   #4
ITS GONNA BE BIG!!!!

DIllon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpeddie View Post
How's the shoulder shady? been thinkin' about you and the rehab and wonderin' how it's been goin'. Yeah the slide was about 6-7 miles from the spring creek take out. You can see it from the road. Just a bit up from the main Blue River Valley Ranch head-quarters main gate. No worries for kayakers takin out at spring creek but something for anglers and those interested in the earth.

Hey Thanks The Shoulder if pretty good! I did my rehab and stayed out of the water all last season! It still pops and snaps a bit but all and all she feels pretty good. I have paddled a hand full of times and I feel pretty confident in it. Im also in a bigger boat, I got a M Ammo and LOVE IT!!!!! Hit me up any time you want to go boatin.
Old 06-08-2008   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
thanks for the info.

interesting that the LB guage is at only 245 cfs right now, as well. Maybe, hopefully, some cooperation on their part to clear the mess out? Just hopeful,useless speculation on my part.

Thanks again
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote