Lake Powell levels? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-04-2010   #1

Bozeman, MT
Paddling Since: 2000
Lake Powell levels?

Planning a Cataract trip in two weeks. Wondering what the reservoir levels are like now. I've seen a steady rise over the last three years, and last year we had whitecaps pushing us back up stream. Have groups still been rocking it without a motor lately? How long is the stretch from Gypsum canyon to dirty devil been taking without a motor? We usually camp at Clearwater canyon, is that underwater now?

Thanks,

Pat

progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Here is a link to the reservoir elevation: Bureau of Reclamation - Water Operations Data: Elevation, Content, Inflow & Release for last 40 Days

Currently at 3623.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You don't need a motor. You can make it from anywhere below the rapids to Dirty Devil in one good day of rowing or less.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
You don't need a motor. You can make it from anywhere below the rapids to Dirty Devil in one good day of rowing or less.
I disagree with this. If there are headwinds strong enough to create whitecaps beginning at 8am, it is not happening. Sometimes maintaining your position and not drifting upstream was the goal. We rowed from sunup to well after complete dark on day one of the lake with a very short break during the most windy part of the day and only made it from Gypsum to Sheep. It's the Colorado River, wind is a given.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #5

Bozeman, MT
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks for the words! We've always done it without a motor, but last year sucked with the wind, not sun up to dark, but pretty close. Has it gotten worse from last march. I'm not sure what the numbers mean on the level. Has anyone rowed out of there this season yet?
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #6

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
Thanks for the words! We've always done it without a motor, but last year sucked with the wind, not sun up to dark, but pretty close. Has it gotten worse from last march. I'm not sure what the numbers mean on the level. Has anyone rowed out of there this season yet?
We did it late last year. It was a bitch. If I were you, I would throw in the motor. After all, you dont have to use it if you dont have to. But if the wind picks up (which it will), you always have that saftey net.
WestSlopeWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #7

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
Lake is roughly 10 feet higher this spring then last. At 6320, its much lower than last years mid summer levels. looking at the pic that Jeff Smith posted, 10 more feet of lake would probably have the camp at dark canyon under water... bummer.
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #8

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
I'm not sure what the numbers mean on the level.
Very roughly, 100' below full pool (i.e. elevation 3600') is 50% storage capacity and has current that slows down right about the Dirty Devil takeout.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote