Lake Powell - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-04-2007   #1

Indian Hills, Colorado
Lake Powell

My wife and I have been thinking about a little one week Lake Powell exploritory mission. The plan is to rent a speedboat to access canyons in the Escalante, remote camping, side hikes, etc. In planning, I ended up with a bunch of questions:
What is the range of your average speedboat? Is it adaquate for extended exploring? Is the speedboat the way to go?
Any recomendations on where to rent a boat from? cheaper the better.
Do wag bags and a bucket count as a portable toilet?

Thanks for any input! Cheers!

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2007   #2

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Get a houseboat all the way with a buncha friends. you will have to bring lots of gas cans with you if you want to do too much with a speedboat. Best place from here is bullfrog marina. We generally tow our speedboat close to our approx destination (and even then have an extra 60-70 gal on board to refuel the speedboat throughout the week)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
My wife and I have been thinking about a little one week Lake Powell exploritory mission. The plan is to rent a speedboat to access canyons in the Escalante, remote camping, side hikes, etc. In planning, I ended up with a bunch of questions:
What is the range of your average speedboat? Is it adaquate for extended exploring? Is the speedboat the way to go?
Any recomendations on where to rent a boat from? cheaper the better.
Do wag bags and a bucket count as a portable toilet?

Thanks for any input! Cheers!
CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #3

Indian Hills, Colorado
Maybe I should rephrase my question:

How should my wife and I go about a no-frills cruise for two though the more remote canyons of powell? Is this just not practical?

I guess I figured you could get some sort of dinky ass fishing boat, load it with gas, gear and beer, head out to see what you can find.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2007   #4

Durango, Colorado
Depends on the type of boat. A mid sized bass boat should do the trick. Also the newer motors (with compartmentalized injectors) are much more fuel economic than older boats. Call up Halls Crossing or Bullfrog Marina and ask them what they carry and what they recomend for your intended endeavor. I've been all the way to the end of the Escalante arm, but it's been a long time and I think what we did was haul our bass boat behind a houseboat and then headed up the arm in the bass boat...can't remember though.

You could rent a Hobie tandem pedal/paddle or sail combo and park your gas boat at the entrance to Escalante and paddle the rest. Or you could rent a pair of those obnoxious fucking Sea-doos.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #5

Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
I agree mid size bass boat but check out the San Jaun arm. No stores or gas but a whole lot less people!!
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #6

Golden, Colorado
We've always done our Powell trips by speed boat until recently. After two trips with record heat and wind/sand storms we've decided it's nice to get a house boat as a barge to carry ice, and gas and to get out of the storms when they roll through. For extended trips, the hard part with a speed boat will be the ice unless you go during a cooler part of the year. During hot months we had to go back to the marina nearly on a daily basis for ice unless you pack like a river trip with frozen meals, dry ice and really good coolers. If you're skiing alot you have to go back almost daily for gas. A coworker of mine does a house boat all the way up the San Juan arm and stays there for two weeks straight, sending a boat back once to resupply.

We've always rented from the Marinas. We've looked into cheaper alternatives and haven't found any yet. Plus boats occasionally break down and it's probably easier to deal with at the marinas. One of the trips I wasn't on, my friends camped with a speed boat up the escalante arm so it can be done, espicially if you aren't skiing (which isn't legal with only two people anyway).

Wag bags and buckets don't count. It has to be an actual portable toilet.

If you're doing exploring, I recommend buying an anchor and rope. The rental boats don't give you much of anything and often there isn't much to tie to except for slickrock. You'd hate for your boat to be gone when you get back. Also, bring your playboats. Alot of the slot canyons are two narrow for speed boats but are fun to explore by kayak and lead to some great hikes.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote