Lake Mead could be dry by 2021 - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-12-2008   #1
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Lake Mead could be dry by 2021

Link here: http://physorg.com/news122050436.html

“We were stunned at the magnitude of the problem and how fast it was coming at us,” said Barnett. “Make no mistake, this water problem is not a scientific abstraction, but rather one that will impact each and every one of us that live in the Southwest.”

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008   #2

there shouldn't be a lake there anyway
seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #3

Ditto. If California needs water, they should either get it from they're own mountains or maybe think twice about infrastructure needs before they build a bunch of huge cities in the middle of the desert. Just sayin'....
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008   #4

FC n Denver n C-Springs are just as bad

We have 19 tunnels that pump water from the western slope to the front range areas. Colorado Springs isn't even built on a river. We have tons of dumb fuck water hogs in this state that think it's their own god given right to have a fucking green lawn in the desert. We have to start educating people to conserve. We aren't even self sustaining on the Front range as it is.

The next time you see a water buffalo washing off his drive way, pistol whip the son of a bitch!

PS. Sign your ass up for the Vertical Challenge
sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #5

the zoo, Montucky
Hear, hear!
skibuminwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbratt View Post
PS. Sign your ass up for the Vertical Challenge
You talkin' to me? Do I know you? I'm already vertically challenged enough as it is. I'll join the first team that convinces me to.

I agree completely that Colorado is just as bad. I say just leave water in the basin it comes from but that just makes too much sense for anyone to actually listen to. Though, in most cases, it's just the damn Front Rangers stealin' our water from the Western Slope.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #7

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Dam Alternatives

About 5 years ago, someone posted some stuff on reverse flow into aquafers as an alternative water storage method. Basically, pump it down during run off. I've previously asked for some links on this. I see alot of upside with no evaporation, no need for new dams, etc.., but don't understand how to overcome some issues with water quality into the aquafer, absorption rates etc. I know some of you have an interest in this area. Can anyone recomend some articles or books? I'm asking again!

Thanks,
Ken
Old 02-13-2008   #8

The next zone, .
Nothing better after a couple of long nights in Vegas than to return to my buddies houseboat at Lake Mead Marina! Not the best place for a lake but if as long as Mead has h20... I will still go there! The boat and lake is the main reason I make a yearly poker trip to that area.

A 303 freedom fighter - bitchin about all the water goin over to the "Rangers". You are some kind of confused bro. Sorry but I had to give you a bit of shat about that..
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Canada,

The only plan I have ever heard about pumping surface water back into an aquifer during run off season was discussed regarding the Ogalla aquifer. It is a large aquifer that extends from the Front Range and into Kansas and Nebraska. I'm not sure but I think it is one of the largest aquifers to be tapped in the world (I think). It is a serious source of water for agricultural areas east of the Rockies. Anyhow, there were plans to drill wells out on the high plains along the South Platte to pump water pump into the aquifer. As you stated the main problem is water quality issues with pumping surface water into groundwater. Mostly bacteria, nitrates-nitrites and sediments. In alot of groundwater aquifers, you have a degree of natural water treatment as it flows through limestones, silt stones and other types of rock. Maybe other aquifers are better candidates for that project than the Ogalla, but I really don't know too much about it. Think that is why they have not really pursued that idea fully. Maybe I'm wrong and they have, but I don't think so.

Maybe Dan Orion can put up a post on this topic, he is also a hydrologist from CSU that specializes in hydrogeology. Hope it gives you alittle insight.

Dan Rauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
About 5 years ago, someone posted some stuff on reverse flow into aquafers as an alternative water storage method. Basically, pump it down during run off. I've previously asked for some links on this. I see alot of upside with no evaporation, no need for new dams, etc.., but don't understand how to overcome some issues with water quality into the aquafer, absorption rates etc. I know some of you have an interest in this area. Can anyone recomend some articles or books? I'm asking again!

Thanks,
Ken
DanRauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #10
sj

Great article in this months National Geographic. About the study confirming that the last century was a particularly wet one in the S. Rockies. It is cited in the article Mania posted.

I get a lot of shit for living in the Ranch but we don't use west slope water. I did this not for enviro reason's but for the fact that. No water to flush the toilet will severly effect your house value. Something a lot of folks will possibly have to deal with in the Arid SW if the current growth rate continues.

I'm guessing deslination prices will come down. And Vegas and Pheonix will buy Cali's water rights from the Colorado for the price it takes to replace with Desalination. Then redneck can still make his usall once a year trip to get laid. Oh I mean play poker. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote