Lake Creek update.. - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-12-2010   #1

The next zone, .
Lake Creek update..

The Big 4 are clean and good to go. No wood as of last night.

They just started pumpin over 100 cfs so with the natural flow we will start to have 200 cfs + in there..

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010   #2
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
word. it's looking kind of frosty up that way right now.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010   #3

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Has it really gone between 100 and 200 four times in the last 24hrs like the graph says? I've heard of this thing dropping out on people, but never seen it and I'd like to keep it that way.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010   #4

The next zone, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKeck1 View Post
Has it really gone between 100 and 200 four times in the last 24hrs like the graph says? I've heard of this thing dropping out on people, but never seen it and I'd like to keep it that way.
Joe
Yea the graph is right.

The droppin out does happen but the worst problem is when you get a extra 400cfs dumped in while you scout!!! This has, does, and will happen all summer long as only the peak run off gets a consistant flow out of the tunnel. Just part of the Lake game..

As I have said many times before the best way to tell how much water you got is to learn the ft guage at the low head dam just above the cauldron. Many times you will see a change in flow by the time that you drive up to the put in. The guage is located so that you can look over at it just before you get to the cauldron. That way you dont make the mistake of runnin it at 700 cfs or something....

Honestly flows are also the reason that we push no scout runs as you know how much water that is in the creek right now.. Early season chances are if you spend a hour or two at the paralyzer that you will have a different flow when you head to the cauldron..

********** ALSO PLEASE READ BELOW!!!!!! *************

Please - PLEASE take the time to learn or ask someone about the proper way to portage around the big house at the paralyzer if you are not going to run kiss me..

For thoes who do not know the trail changed last year and does not go through or touch the "kayaker's dream" house drive way.. AGAIN - do not go through or touch the "kayaker's dream" house drive way!!!!!

The change is that you now have to walk back UP TO THE TOP of the paralyzer get on the road and WALK ON THE ROAD, past the drive way, and down the next little valley. There is a bit of tape on a tree to mark where you head down off the road back to the river. Pry 100 yds down stream of the dream house's drive way...

IF YOU USE THE OLD PORTAGE TRAIL OR FIND YOURSELF IN OR EVEN TOUCHING THE DRIVEWAY YOU ARE RISKING ALL OF OUR ABILITY TO PORTAGE KISS ME.. The new owners are super cool but dont want kayakers walkin across their deck to portage so RESPECT this and walk on the road all the way around the house..

In other Lake creek news - the new owners on the river right of NIMBY are super cool and will offer to take your pic or give you a beer as you pass. Super cool!!!
Old 05-13-2010   #5
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
thanks for the private property update.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010   #6

an extra 400 would be sick!
seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Rdnek, have you guys considered putting up a sign on the old portage trail, explaining the new procedure? I worry about people not learning of it online.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #8

The next zone, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by craven_morhead View Post
Rdnek, have you guys considered putting up a sign on the old portage trail, explaining the new procedure? I worry about people not learning of it online.
We did think of putting something over the old trail so that it looked closed off but the old portage trail is how the home owners get down to the bench by the creek so that wont work.. I am not usually a big sign person but in this case I would make one and put it up if it needed it.

It seems that the groups up there are pretty in the and know someone who floats around the buzz here or stops over at CKS. Last year was the same change and we had no problems I just wanted to bring it up again as a reminder...

It is not that much harder to walk up to the top again and around. Just keep a eye out for traffic as there is not much room on the side of the road there..
Old 05-14-2010   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
You could just put up a laminated piece of paper (with the permission of the homeowners, obviously) explaining the new path. You probably wouldn't need a big wooden sign saying HEY ASSHOLES GO THE OTHER WAY. Then again, you're probably right about someone in the group being informed of the change.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #10

The next zone, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by craven_morhead View Post
You could just put up a laminated piece of paper (with the permission of the homeowners, obviously) explaining the new path. You probably wouldn't need a big wooden sign saying HEY ASSHOLES GO THE OTHER WAY. Then again, you're probably right about someone in the group being informed of the change.
Maybe ass holes is to strong but what about "HEY DIRTBAG KAYAKERS - YA KNOW WE LOVE YA BUT GO AROUND" ... I bet it would get a laugh or two ..