Lake Creek Friday (or Gore) - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-09-2009   #1

Lake Creek Friday (or Gore)

I noticed that the level fluctuated about 250cfs today. Does anyone know why? If the level is reasonable tomorrow, I would love to paddle Lake Creek before heading up to Big South for the weekend, then heading to the West Coast.
If interested, CALL Nate
781-248-1948
I could also be talked into Gore Canyon, but I woudl have to drive a little, as I am in BV now

bostonwwnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonwwnate View Post
I noticed that the level fluctuated about 250cfs today. Does anyone know why? If the level is reasonable tomorrow, I would love to paddle Lake Creek before heading up to Big South for the weekend, then heading to the West Coast.
If interested, CALL Nate
781-248-1948
I could also be talked into Gore Canyon, but I woudl have to drive a little, as I am in BV now
The level fluctuates due to the Frying Pan-Arkansas project (stealing water from the Aspen drainage and pumping it through the mtns which ends up in Lake Creek).

Today's dramatic drop is simply the "gatekeeper" shutting off the flow that comes through the tunnel. They do this for about 5 or 6 hours and then turn it back on... why? I'm not completely sure.

My guess is that this flow will remain at its level of 550ish and/or maybe drop into the high 400's for tomorrow and remain there for a few days. It's a guess, though because it isn't an exact science. I cannot tell you how many times I have driven up there thinking it would be at a great level only to get screwed by the sudden drop, or the dramatic increase.

As for going up there tomorrow with you... sorry, but I won't touch the bottom 4 until around low 400's. (I got destroyed in the Cauldron at 500ish CFS) The upper stuff can be fun at this level though...
marko is offline   Reply With Quote