Lake Creek flows off - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-25-2007   #1

The next zone, .
Lake Creek flows off

Well the flow reading for lake jumped up to 400 again yesterday and the guage is off. It was spot on just a couple of days ago but last night the Foot reading was about 2.5' feet and this would be 220 -240 ish in the ditch - not the 420 ish that DWR reads. A true 420ish reading would be 3.4' or so.

I hope that they get it back into line so it reads correct. Right now it is showing about 200 more cfs than are in the ditch. I hope to go up there again tonight and will update.

Also there is a new log just above the caldron that got stuck in the last 48hrs - not sure where she will go but look at the caldron before droppin!

Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2007   #2

How is the gnar section down around 200 cfs?

Is it worth bothering with if you are going over independence pass anyway?

Let us know if the wood is a problem at Cauldron
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #3

The next zone, .
Yea I would bring my boat. And look at the foot gauge right above the lowhead dam just above the caldron. 2.5 is about as low as I go and at over 3.5 I start to think about walking the caldron. 3.2 os a perfect mellow 380cfs or so.

A group from bv will be up there about 5 pm tonight. It is still reading 400 - I hope this is true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2007   #4

Breckenridge, Colorado
the wood of mention is the log we tied up at the dam boof last year. It lodged just above the pyramid rock you surge left of. You can run the normal line, but getting under it then back to the left is quick...or bump down the right shore.
freeheelintodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #5

The next zone, .
How you doin todd? Are you still in the area, i have not seen you this summer since the pine creek race? If so we should get in a run one of these nights.

The log in the "notch" above the caldron is still there. At anything below 420 cfs -the best way to run it is to bump down the right side then ferry under the log and into the left slot on the notch. From 430 cfs until about 650 it is unrunable but at over 650 you can float over the top of the log.

The new log is lodged in the last eddie you catch just above the caldron. If you catch the eddie high and easy it is not a problem. But if the water pushed you into the bottom of the eddie it could spear you - right now it is not across the river but it may soon work free and run the caldron.

I could not find anyone to run with last night so I did not make it up. I hope to make it up this afternoon or evening if I can find someone to run with.

As far as the rest of the bed and breakfast run. It is clear and only has one other log to deal with other than the two around the caldron.
Old 07-26-2007   #6

Breckenridge, Colorado
i could be into lake this evening. 970 485-1087.
freeheelintodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007   #7

The next zone, .
Well I went up for a run Sat a.m. and was at the caldron about 10. It is still off as the reading was 2.5' and this is about 250 or so the flow was readin 430 cfs for this same time. Super low and bumpy between the rapids.

I hope that they get it back in line soon. Some crazy raft guides say they may try to run the caldron in a raft this afternoon and I said I would run saftey - if they do I will update the flows and shoot up a pic.
Old 08-01-2007   #8

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
Yo RDNEK,

Whats the story on the guage? Is it still off?
Old 08-01-2007   #9

The next zone, .
I am not sure but word at lobacks donut shop this am was that it was close to if not back on line... you would just want to hit the upspike.

I cant go up again until thursday sometime and I will let you know when we get back.

When are you thinkin of comming up?
Old 08-03-2007   #10

The next zone, .
She came into good again.... There will be a group of 2 this evening we say at 4 but it will be more like 6 pm... Also I have this weekend off so I am game for a run anytime on Sat...

Yea it rained all night last night here -

Todd? Force? Marco? Doublet? Count? anyone want to run?