Ladore - Hows the fishing - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-24-2009   #1
-k-

Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Ladore - Hows the fishing

Leave on a Ladore trip Sept 7. Is it a must to bring the fly rod?

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009   #2

I found the first part of the canyon to be below average in fishing...I caught a couple browns but it was slow going....

Jone's hole is completely different...the fishing there is fantastic. fish the main river where the creek pours in...its quite good.

Its in Utah, but i never bought a UT license...i let everything go..

If you could score the jones hole camping spot, i'd definitely bring the rod...if not, I dont know that I would...
BigLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009   #3

SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
There's lots of channel cats; light spin gear and power bait works for them.
kb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by -k- View Post
Leave on a Ladore trip Sept 7. Is it a must to bring the fly rod?
As long as the water is relatively clear, I usually do quite well in the upper portion chucking streamers along the bank. Then I put it away until I hit Jones Holes, which is usually lights out.

Have fun!
NolsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I've only been down Lodore once, and that trip Red Creek upstream had flashed, taking the river totally off-color. I have fished the "C" section upstream, and there are quite a few big browns. I assume the same holds true in the upper canyon. Jones Creek has lots of little guys, but is really tight with tons of overhanging branches. A shorter rod would be good for the creek.
Old 08-25-2009   #6

Denver, Colorado
Good post...I guess I should clarify that I don't fishing jones creek...I fish where it comes into the green...some big uns in there.
Old 08-25-2009   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
The confluence of Jones Creek and the Green looked great when I was there. Bighorns grazing in the lush grass on the bank, setting sun lighting the canyon rim. There was about a 100 ft. wide piece of river just downstream that was clear and gorgeous. I could see some big fish feeding down low, so I tied on a red copper john. Bam! Hookup first drift. Turned out to be a sucker. Caught tons of those ugly mofos, and no trout. I'm sure they're there, I just didn't find 'em.
Old 08-25-2009   #8
-k-

Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Thanks for the replies. I will have to check with our trip leader to see what camp sites we have/are hoping for. Will likely take the rod regardless now that I know there is something.

Great post DS. Thas sound about par for me, figuring I have a lunker trout on the end only to real in a sucker.
Old 08-25-2009   #9

I agree with big loco, if you have a layover day and time to kill then why not. But not a must have for sure. Fishing there isn't that unique or interesting, better off to spend your time going up the trail to see the falls and rock art panel. Things you can't see anywhere else rather than more fishing you can do anytime. If you have time for both, cool, but go see the interesting stuff first.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009   #10

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by -k- View Post
Thanks for the replies. I will have to check with our trip leader to see what camp sites we have/are hoping for. Will likely take the rod regardless now that I know there is something.

Great post DS. Thas sound about par for me, figuring I have a lunker trout on the end only to real in a sucker.
If you're fishing the green where Jones comes in...try stripping a streamer...I've caught some nice ones there my last two trips.

Good luck and have fun!