L Burn or Riot Magnum - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-07-2008   #1

boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
L Burn or Riot Magnum

I have been boating a Y for quite a while and am having troubles finding a boat i like. So far it is between a Large burn or a riot magnum. I am 190 5' 11''. Anyone have any feed back on the two?

idayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008   #2

Have you tried the Habitat?

THE BOMB!!!

just ask Joe Keck
Old 04-08-2008   #3

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
I would recommend the Magnum for sure.

The tapered edges on it (they really start right behind the seat) give you more steering control than any other boat. Basically, stay forward, go straight. Shift your weight back, turn like a dream.

In addition, the back band easily folds down and is made for doing overnighters or even just storing a break down for a run.

Although my opinion cannot be taken as completely unbiased, I can assure you that I truly do think that the Magnum tops any other creek boat I've paddled.

D
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008   #4

Overseas, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
riot plastic=butter

I have owned two riot play boats, a trickster and an air 55. I loved them, I even paddled the air off a 34 footer. The plastic sucks! PE, they tried to call it Zytec for awhile it isn't even cross linked. The Corp. that bought Wavesport, then Dagger, and Perception also use polyethene (PE). I had a long talk with one of the former owners about the [email protected]##y plastic. The Riots seem even more like butter. I wouldn't want a creek boat made of that somewhere you needed it. LL, Pyranha, Bliss-stick, Jackson, and of course the Germans are the only ones (I know, I'm missing someone) making boats with worth while plastic.

Nostrovia!
eljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Magnum, awesome hull & outfitting, but short lifespan. Don't drag it and avoid low water abuse. Search previous threads for more info.

I have a habitat now, but I really miss the magnum and I'll be surprised if the habitat lasts much longer than any other non-german boat.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #6

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
The bad plastic argument can be used on any boat.

I dented a habitat on a light hit, first use. I have seen rockers basically collapse from cracking. I only know a few people that haven't cracked burns they bought in the past year.

Basically, cooking boats is tough, plastic weakens depending on the temp it is cooked at and speed it is cooled at etc. This, combined with inherent structural weaknesses in all the hulls makes a truly strong boat difficult to find from ay company.

Also, keep in mind that boat companies are trying to make light boats because consumers don't want to carry something that weighs a ton.

Combine this with the fact that we take these boats on difficult, steep runs, means that any boat you buy is likely to have a short life span.

That said, my Magnum has held up better than my Habitat or my Rocker did.

Eljim- I believe that both of the Riot models you mentioned are from several years ago, right before/during the time when the company changed hands.

David
Old 04-08-2008   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spiegel View Post
The bad plastic argument can be used on any boat.

I dented a habitat on a light hit, first use. I have seen rockers basically collapse from cracking. I only know a few people that haven't cracked burns they bought in the past year.

Basically, cooking boats is tough, plastic weakens depending on the temp it is cooked at and speed it is cooled at etc. This, combined with inherent structural weaknesses in all the hulls makes a truly strong boat difficult to find from ay company.

Also, keep in mind that boat companies are trying to make light boats because consumers don't want to carry something that weighs a ton.

Combine this with the fact that we take these boats on difficult, steep runs, means that any boat you buy is likely to have a short life span.

That said, my Magnum has held up better than my Habitat or my Rocker did.

Eljim- I believe that both of the Riot models you mentioned are from several years ago, right before/during the time when the company changed hands.

David
good thing i bought a jefe........
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Magnum

Last summer I narrowed my list down to those two exact boats--that's kinda strange, really. I took out the medium burn and really liked it because I'm genrally familiar with the hull design (I have the 420 and I3). However, I wanted a boat with more volume (I'm 6'1 ~ 210 lbs). So, naturally I thought the large burn would be great for me. I was totally wrong--I found it was way to cumbersome and I felt it was like rolling a pool table. I love Pyranha but the large burn was a pain. I then took out the Magum a few times on Bear Creek and Baileys and really loved it. In my opinion it's a great boat for CO--it punches holes easily, is fast, tracks nicely and surfaces quickly--and it's a relatively nimble boat for our low water creeks. I have had good luck with the plastic (knock on wook) Also, I have the 73 and I've heard they now offer the 82 gallon--I'm curious to see if it performs the same way.

Cheers,

Craig
Gilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #9

gypsy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
check out the magnum 80, riot has them available to ship NOW
BAER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #10
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
I have paddled the large burn for the last year. It is a really nice design that makes cross-current moves super fun. The boat glides over the surface of holes and allows you to make ferries with ease. It also has enough of a rounded edge that it works well for bony creeking. I cannot say much of anything negative about the boat unless you simply do not want a planning hull. The boat balances tracking and last minute adjustments well. And, honestly, sometimes its relatively wide flat hull makes things seem too easy. You just have to be mindful of the edge. Rolling is cake, as with any creekboat. Try them both, but I had to chime in on the burn since this thread mostly has comments on the magnum.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote