Koozies Make for Colder Beer - But Not For The Reason You Expect - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-30-2013   #1

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Koozies Make for Colder Beer - But Not For The Reason You Expect

A couple of UW undergrads did some important research into the performance of can koozies and found what I think are surprising results. It turns out that the koozie does not keep the beer colder through simple thermal insulation like we all assumed, but from the prevention of the formation of condensation on the outside of the can, and therefore the transfer of heat from that condensation to your beer.

Cookies Required

Of course, if you swim a lot, you're more reliant on the neoprene in your bootie to keep it cold.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandob9 View Post
A couple of UW undergrads did some important research into the performance of can koozies and found what I think are surprising results. It turns out that the koozie does not keep the beer colder through simple thermal insulation like we all assumed, but from the prevention of the formation of condensation on the outside of the can, and therefore the transfer of heat from that condensation to your beer.

Cookies Required

Of course, if you swim a lot, you're more reliant on the neoprene in your bootie to keep it cold.
Of course next year their research will be weed centric
Old 04-30-2013   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I think its basically semantics we are talking here. The cozy is preventing contact with the atmosphere which contains water droplets. The way to avoid any condensation is to have the outside of the can surface at ambient temperature. The way to do that is like a glass thermos with vacuum. The closest thing to that on a river is a cozy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I figured the coozie was there to keep the cold beer from coming in contact with my warm hand, and having the heat from my blood warming my barley pops.

Who lets a beer sit out long enough for condensation to form?
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Who lets a beer sit out long enough for condensation to form?
You've obviously never drunk cold beer in the Southeast. You'd have to climb into the fridge (which will have its own appeal) and drink your beer there to avoid condensation.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I haven't!

But I live in a similar climate to where the study was done!

The PNW after dusk is not much better
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
Beer Koozie? Unbelievable! Let's see here. Somebody spent money on a piece of rubber to insulate a beer and keep it cold. WTF! It's only 12 ounces. That's gonna last about 30 seconds... max. On the flip side, I have used a koozie to insulate beer (keep it from freezing) while playing hockey on the ol' pond. Nothing like skating to the beer tent.
hkydef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #8

The best and last coozie you will ever buy unless you loose it. I was skeptical until i tried them but will never be without!

http://www.vat19.com/dvds/thermos-st...da-koozie.cfm#!
mkashzg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkashzg View Post
The best and last coozie you will ever buy unless you loose it. I was skeptical until i tried them but will never be without!

http://www.vat19.com/dvds/thermos-st...da-koozie.cfm#!
Oh, yeah and it works great for coffee too!!
Old 04-30-2013   #10

Btw, it's a Thermos.... How does it know!??

Tags
beer