Knots and Hitches - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-15-2013   #1

Denver, Colorado
Knots and Hitches

What are your favorite knots? Tying gear down on your car. Securing your rafts on the Grand Canyon. Tying up your friends while they're drunk. Rapelling down that sketchy portage in a remote canyon. Whatever you like to use, whats easiest, most functional, fun to tie.

bwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I never could tie a truckers hitch reliably, so cam straps have always been my mainstay for gear on the car.

I love the bowline and figure 8 for tying loops. I like the bowline's smaller size, but love the look of a clean double-passed figure 8.

I also like the double fisherman for joining two ends of a line. I've had them on my perimeter lines, but will probably go to flat tape or tubing this season.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #3
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
8, 8 on a bight, butterfly, tucker's hitch, clove hitch, double fisherman's, prusik, water knot, girth hitch, "no-knot". I'm probably missing a couple but I feel like these are the basics. If you know all of these 90% of any rope situation can be handled with the proper application/variation.
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013   #4

Conejos Canyon & Houston, CO & TX
Paddling Since: 1979
trucker hitch is best for tying something to a car - or a truck, that is why it is called a truckers hitch

seriously, it is worth learning. it is just an overhand knot with a slip loop pulled through (secure other end with a bowline first). then take the end though the loop, pull and tie a few half-hitches

only thing to watch out for is crushing any gear with the extra purchase you have - have seen a few expen$ive carbon windsurfing boards die this way
crispy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Its all based on what you are trying to do.

Connect 2 ropes end to end: Double Fisherman's Knot
Connect a rope to a pole: 2 half hitches
Connect a rope to a pole so you can tighten the rope: truckers hitch
Put a loop in the middle of a rope: butterfly knot

I would say that those 4 are all best practice knots. I'd be curious to hear why any other knot serves those purposes better.

The only one I'm on the fence about is:
Put a loop on the end of a rope: Bowline vs. Double Figure 8

I know climbers always use Figure 8 but rescue workers use Bowlines to lift people for extractions. I guess the figure 8 just gives a little bit more confidence that it won't come untied?

But regardless you have those 5 knots, you can do all tasks you should use knots for. After those 5, you should have other equipment IMO.

Edit: OK I forgot "put a stopper in a rope: Basic figure 8." Granted I'm not sure this is really that good of an idea, but I use two of them to keep my throwbag at the right point on my rope. So 6 knots is all you need.
Old 03-15-2013   #6

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
The bowline,cause you never know when you'll be at the bottom of a cliff

BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #7

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
IMHO a figure 8 is easier to untie after its been loaded than a bowline.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #8

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
The more the merrier...

BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #9

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I'm a huge fan of the clove hitch to tie up the raft to a sand stake if there is going to be a water fluctuation. Bowline, if there is no sand stake or risk of water fluctuation. I use a truckers hitch for tying down the raft and for guidelines on tarps. (Although I have gotten lazy and use figure 9 quite a bit these days.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #10

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
I'm a huge fan of the clove hitch to tie up the raft to a sand stake if there is going to be a water fluctuation. Bowline, if there is no sand stake or risk of water fluctuation.
A trick a friend taught me before my Grand trip was to use a prusik for this. Bowline attached to boat, then a prusik tied around the bowline near the sand stake, then attach the other end of the prusik loop to the sand stake (I use a carabinder). Your bowline is now adjustable limited only by it's length. And the adjustment happens near the stake which should keep your feet dry. And if you're worried about the prusik holding, you can tie off the loose end of the bowline to the stake.
Fash is offline   Reply With Quote