Kids on the Upper C & Overnight - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-03-2013   #1

Fairplay, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Kids on the Upper C & Overnight

I'm wanting to do an overnight trip with my wife and 3 year old this April(now). Pumphouse to Two Bridges looks good timing wise, camping at Rancho Del Rio. Any thoughts on this? I don't see that two bridges is used much..Why?
Is there a better overnight route?
Any suggestions for a shuttle?

We are real campers. Is Ranch Del Rio going to suck? I bet there's free camping near as well, hu?

Thanks!
Your response is much appreciated!!

BeauWildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013   #2

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Twin Bridges is a new take-out. It was opened just last year- and is excellent. Rancho would be my last choice in where to camp- it's a little sketchy, can be loud. There are free campsites along the stretch you are asking about- as well as further down. We do an annual from Pumphouse to Catamount and always find nice campsites. One thing you need to be aware of- trains. All damn night trains. With squealing brakes. All damn night squealing brakes. You will get zero sleep with a three year old. Kinda hard to comprehend how loud it can be until you're lying there listening to the 10th train in one night.....
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #3
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
It isn't the warmest place to be in April. We ended up with another family in our camp with a crying three year old in wet diapers seeking refuge from the hail and cold rain in JULY! I would suggest a Ruby/Horsethief trip.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013   #4

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Brrrr. I think the high mountain air has gone to your head. Ruby/horsethief would be much warmer. Not very close but a lot more fun for camping with kids. Then again its always warmer anywhere outside of south park. I used rancho for shuttles. Pick a spot outside of rancho, no need to camp at an RV park and pay for it. Have fun either way. Them Park Co kids are tuffer than flatland kids.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #5

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Rancho del Rio does run a shuttle service, if they're open for business this early in the season, and Osseous is right about the trains. Overnights on Pumphouse are popular regardless of the train noise so don't let that deter you. If you're looking for an alternate quiet overnight float suitable for a 3y/o that's running now and isn't too far from Fairplay you might look at Delta to Whitewater on the Lower Gunnison. I haven't run this river, but you can get info from the BLM about overnight camping on the river.

BLM UFO Lower Gunnison River

Also read this for more info:

Gunnison River, Colorado
Old 04-03-2013   #6

., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Is there even enough water to run the upper C now? The guage is still iced...
Ruby/HT is great advice, at least until the end of april/may
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Go on Ruby/Horse

Ruby Horse has lots of great camps, good scenery and not many people this time of year. No permit needed before May 1st. Do it now before it gets too hot and too crowded. Currently flows are 2000+ or so on this section. With Gunnison only 600 and PHouse next to nothing I would definitely recommend this one.

We spent three days/2 nights just last week doing Ruby/Horsethief and did not see another group. Flow was 2000. We arranged shuttle with American Spirit ($80) and they are good and Rimrock is currently running shuttles as well. Let me know if you have questions about current camps,etc. Weekdays are even better if you can swing it right now. You'll have the entire place to yourself.
Mike
kwagunt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #8

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
^^^^^ too low to go. The upper yampa might be an option between the boat and Hayden or Hayden to Craig. If your going to drive that far may as well do ruby.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #9

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
[QUOTE=Nessy;309851]Rancho del Rio does run a shuttle service, if they're open for business this early in the season, and Osseous is right about the trains. Overnights on Pumphouse are popular regardless of the train noise so don't let that deter you. If you're looking for an alternate quiet overnight float suitable for a 3y/o that's running now and isn't too far from Fairplay you might look at Delta to Whitewater on the Lower Gunnison. I haven't run this river, but you can get info from the BLM about overnight camping on the river.

I agree with Nessy. The Gunnison from Escalante to Whitewater is the trip to do at this time of the year. Dominguez Canyon camping will most likely be yours alone, and that side canyon hike is beautiful, with cool petroglyphs. Ruby Horsethief is great too, but the trains there still have squeaky brakes. The Gunnison=NO trains.
Old 04-04-2013   #10
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Fife View Post
The Gunnison=NO trains.
Train tracks run along the Gunnison as well. The last time I was there, workers were going up and down (beep!!!beep!!!beep!!!) the tracks doing maintenance. We felt that was better than trains with squeaky wheels. Do they not run trains on those tracks anymore?

Also, be sure to scope the Whitewater takeout. It is less than ideal if you need to get a trailer to the water. Not sure when it leafs out, but watch for poison ivy.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote