Kern River? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-03-2008   #1

Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Kern River?

Does anyone know if this is flowing? I might be heading that way in a couple weeks curious if it would be worth it.

Also, anyone know good a good place in Southern Cali to take my playboat to the ocean??

Thanks
Lucas

teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008   #2

Lower Kern. Playboating. That's it..........PM me on the surf.....

Dreamflows Realtime Report
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #3

San Diego and Frisco, CO
Yeah Lower Kern ran 1200 over the weekend. Should be runnable through Sept (we hope).
Good runs, BLM III and Miracle to Democrat III- IV
And we surf lots of th surfing breaks here in San Diego with the exception of some territorial breaks such as Wind n Sea. We bend over backwards to not make any enemies, share waves, but mostly it is pretty mellow. San Onofre State beach near Orange county has a special section just for kayakers, ...long wait in the morning to get in during the summer, but ALWAYS worth it. Wave ski guys are there everyday and will often let you jump on a ski.
KJ
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008   #4

Thanks

I appreciate the beta.

I'll be out there in 3-4 weeks, any recommendations for a good base camp? I'd like to stay about a week and don't want to have to pack everyday. Also looking to go on the cheaper side, like to save the cash for good eats.

Thanks for the any suggestions,
Lucas
Old 08-04-2008   #5

San Diego and Frisco, CO
Didja mean good base camp near the Kern? Or SoCal. I am happy to fill you in on either. You can also PM me and I can ramble on forever!
Great time to be out here!

KJ
Old 08-05-2008   #6

That is a great question, forced me to figure this out a bit more:

I'll be leaving from Denver on the Aug. 20th or 21st. I'd like to get on river for a few quality runs, not sure if I want to bring the creekboat. The rest of the time I'd like to be playing in the ocean surfing either board or boat. I'm from Colorado and haven't spent much time with the ocean, but I can manage to stand up on a board. I need to be in Vegas on the 27th. The temptation of variety might over power the desire to set up base camp.
Old 08-05-2008   #7

San Diego and Frisco, CO
Forget the creeker, the lower Kern this time of year should be really great fun for river running in your playboat. The classic run is Miracle to the Bridge/Democrat. About 8-11 miles. Warm water, some great Class IV/III. Camp near the put in (Miracle Hot Springs Forest Service campground...) the surrounding area is nice, but hot this time of year. Did I say HOT????
For eats, check out the Kern River Brew Pub in (where else) Kernville, ...its owned by boaters,...Olympic-style.
And when you can't stand it any more in the heat, drive up to the Sierra or come down to SoCal to surf. The scene is much cooler if you are flailing on a surfboard, but if you are mellow and want to share waves,....kayaking in the surf works too!
PM me if you are serious about going out in kayaks, I can steer you to the nice places. But ummmm, SoCal surf in the summer is warm .....and small. But always worth it!
KJ