keeping kayak healthy - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-27-2005   #1

keeping kayak healthy

hey im looking for some book or reference on excersises that can be done to strengthen paddling muscles. I have already injured both shoulders and often feel weird knots in my back after paddling and I need some sort of excersise regimend that I can do to get my shoulders, arms, torso, back in shape for kayaking. Ive also heard of kayak yoga, any information on that? Please give any information that you have. Much appreciated

flounderbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2005   #2

Couple sugestions would be hanging knee raises, sit-ups, crunchies for abs and mid section. Pretty much anything that works your abs and doesn't overstress your back and neck are good.

For the shoulders start with light dumbell military presses. One thing to keep in mind with your shoulders, or any muscle group is to work them with both pulling and pushing exercises. Also try very light lateral raises with dumbells or a single weight plate. Just don't make the mistake of only doing pull down type exercises.

Seated cable pulls will work great for the back. Try switching the grip from close to wide to work the muscles alittle different. That's problably the closest kayak paddle stroke specific motion you can do in a gym. Also try standing bent over rows with a straight bar or kneeling on a bench with a dumbell.

Bench presses, straight bar or dumbell with help stablize your upper body and counteract all the upright pulling motions.

Hope this helps.

Mike
mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #3

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
I would like to second the reccomendation to do lots of abs work, I have mild scoliosis and I used to get a really sore back on long kayaking days. When I do lot of abs work in the months leading up to kayaking I notice my back doesn't bother me at all anymore. Plus it helps your power, technique, posture, etc...
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2005   #4
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
definitely target the abs - exercise ball workouts are great for that. I would also recommend swimming if you have access to a pool. Doing a lot of freestyle laps is great for the shoulders and toning everything.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #5

Duhrango
There is an older video out there called the Paddler's Personal Trainer and it has some very good stretches and exercises specific to kayaking and such. Do all of the above tips and then some.
Old 03-28-2005   #6
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Fitness

On my website at 205.120.84.77/fitness I have ab excercises from from the kayak school on the Payette in Idaho (can't remember the name but they work). Also, for my shoulders I do very simple arm raises though all range of motion using my opposite hand on my elbow for resistance. Works great. No more shoulder pain. Also, I've found that a shorter paddle helps too. Am 60 now, play boat everday that I can and shoulders or back never hurt since I started doing these simple 5min. per day excercised.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #7
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Fitness

On my website at 205.120.84.77/fitness I have ab excercises from from the kayak school on the Payette in Idaho (can't remember the name but they work). Also, for my shoulders I do very simple arm raises though all range of motion using my opposite hand on my elbow for resistance. Works great. No more shoulder pain. Also, I've found that a shorter paddle helps too. Am 60 now, play boat everday that I can and shoulders or back never hurt since I started doing these simple 5min. per day excercised.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking