Kayaks for big guys - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-23-2009   #1

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Kayaks for big guys

I stopped kayaking about 13 years ago. I'm ready to start paddling again. My last boat was a perception pirouette. Boat designs have obviously evolved dramatically since then, and I'm 20-30 pounds bigger. I'm 6'2" and 230 lbs. I'd say I was a solid Class IV, occasional Class V boater back in the day.

I'm considering a Diesel 80, but would love to hear thoughts and suggestions from the Buzzards.

Thanks in advance

Dan

swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009   #2

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I'm a big guy as well... so is my brother. He's ridden in my Super Hero and the Diesel 80. The Diesel is a very impressive boat. My brother liked it alot... and he is closer to your size. The one thing he liked more about my Super Hero was the cockpit size. Its MUCH larger and was easier for him to slip in and out of, where the Diesel had tighter sides and would scratch up his legs when he got in and out.

He liked the the back rest adjustment more on the Diesel then in the hero, he likes the snowboard binding strap things, and he liked the seat more, although he didnt know how to use the jackson seat to fit it to him.

SO being a new boater myself thats all i've got... the larger cockpit for me makes a huge difference as my injuries from war make certain movements painful, getting in and out is one of them, so the larger cockpit makes a huge difference for me. But like any sport, the best thing to do is sit in em, and take em out on the water to test whats out there and find what fits your body type, ability, and boating preferences... But hey playing in rental gear is always a good time right?!
Old 09-23-2009   #3

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
What are you looking for? A river runner or something that is more of a creeker? How do you feel about edges vs displacement? Do you want something that is more of a playboat/river runner? Do you want to get back to your IV/V- days? (I suspect that the definition has changed a little as well.)

Just like everyone else I'm going to suggest you take a look at what I have, a Riot Magnum, the 80 would probably be your size. I would also suggest you take a look at the large burn. If you want something that is more displacement take a look at the Liquid Logic Grande jefe, Nomad or the Fluid Solo. Those are all more "creekers" though. LL's river runner is a long boat that may feel more like your older boats in the Remix, with sizes for you as well. I'm not a fan of Jackson boats but I know a lot of people are, I don't hear a lot of good things about the Dagger Mamba's.

As always, my suggestion would be to demo EVERYTHING.
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009   #4

FC, Colorado
The remix 79 is a great big guy boat and is a good transition from the pirouette to more modern designs. It's long, fast, forgiving, comfy and super easy to roll. Not really a good boat for low volume, manky colorado creeks but is very versatile and truly excels as long as you're interacting with water instead of rock. I have a slightly used one I am looking to sell. PM me if you're interested.
Shitouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #5

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
[QUOTE=Badazws6;162137 Do you want to get back to your IV/V- days? (I suspect that the definition has changed a little as well.)

Probably more of a river runner at first. I dunno if classifications have changed. Didn't boat much in Colo. Did Cross Mtn and the Numbers a few times each.
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009   #6

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
The Dragorossi Critical Mass is a great bigger guy boat. So is the big remix.
StoneandWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #7

Same problem

I've been kayaking for like 6 months now and I use my school's boats. But since I am getting better I need to get a boat that actually fits me. Right now I am a solid class III paddler looking to get on some IV. Im starting to learn some freestyle moves like stern squirts and bow stalls. I hope that when I get a boat that fits me right I can get even better. I want a nice short playboat. Im about 6' 230 lbs and have size 12 feet. I have been squeezing into the Fluid's M Spice and even the Med Flirt. Its very tight to say the least. I was just wondering is anybody had an suggestions/recommendations?
TUAPKYK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #8

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I'm 6'3, 205lbs with size 14 feet and I paddle a Jackson Super Star and a Mega Rocker. Jackson has XL cockpits and the boats are wider, taller and sized for a tall person better than any other brand.
Old 09-28-2009   #9
KDT

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
I second on the Super Star.
Old 09-28-2009   #10

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
You may want to check out and demo the Jackson SuperFun (2007 model). It has a huge cockpit and all day comfort for big guys. The boat is one of the best for all around paddling. ound big guy boat. I'm 6'4" and 250 on a light day and it works great for me.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote