Kayaking with a dog - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-11-2010   #1

chicago, Illinois
Paddling Since: 2005
Kayaking with a dog

I want to take my Whippet Hound kayaking this spring and I'm trying to find the safest and most comfortable way.

Any tips from those who have tried it?

Thanks!

Lina

Lina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
What kind of kayak?

What class of water?

Can your dog swim?

Does your dog actively like water?

I would definitely get a dog PFD, most whitewater kayaks have no real place for a dog to ride safely. Sea kayaks have a bigger deck but I still would not make my dog balance on those for very long. While I have seen dogs ride on kayak for short distances, and my sisters golden is very happy sitting in the cockpit of one while on the water, I guess I do not see many ways for a dog to "enjoy" kayaking. Most people I know that have river dogs host them on larger crafts like a raft or cat. Maybe I am just missing your intention?
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #3

chicago, Illinois
Paddling Since: 2005
I have a recreational kayak with a large cockpit and we are going on a shallow flatwater creek. Charlie can swim but he's not a real water dog like a lab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfreakus View Post
What kind of kayak?

What class of water?

Can your dog swim?

Does your dog actively like water?

I would definitely get a dog PFD, most whitewater kayaks have no real place for a dog to ride safely. Sea kayaks have a bigger deck but I still would not make my dog balance on those for very long. While I have seen dogs ride on kayak for short distances, and my sisters golden is very happy sitting in the cockpit of one while on the water, I guess I do not see many ways for a dog to "enjoy" kayaking. Most people I know that have river dogs host them on larger crafts like a raft or cat. Maybe I am just missing your intention?
Lina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Either rent or buy an inflatable kayak(make sure you pets nails are clipped/trim), even with a large cockpit you may not have room. As KF said it can make it uncomfy for the dog and your self if you need to adjust. And dog pfd is also essential, you never know what may come up.
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
I'd get him a PFD and tow him behind in a small K-Mart raft for the type of river your talking about.........or upgrade to an inflatable like Kendo suggests. The PFD is Key for a Happy Puppy.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #6

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
you could do like some of the idiots i've seen on our rivers here in CO: make your dog swim/walk/run the entire reach you're running. no kidding i've seen this multiple times. i almost nailed some couple's golden retriever last summer when running shuttle on the poudre because they were making him swim while they paddled. he had to run up to the road to get around some obstacle.
Old 01-11-2010   #7

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Mrs. oarframe and I took our dog (when she was a wee pup) kayakin a few times, each with its own hillarious outcome.
1) On a sit-on-top at the local lake, tooling around dog resting peacfully on back deck - until we passed a flock of ducks. To this point dog has not seen a duck and promptly jumps off the boat to go investigate.
2) Floating down Black Cnyn (below hoover dam ) with friends. Dog resting peacfully between Mrs Oraframes legs in the S-O-T until said friend paddles by in his canoe with his own dog. Ours decides to go check out the other dog, again jumping out of boat to swim over to the canoe (whos occupants become very nervous when little dog tries to climb in canoe and bigger dog gets defensive). (Un)fortunately the canoe did not swamp.

Each time the method of rescue was a strong arm hand-o-god manuver to fish the pup back into the boat.

The years have gone by and the pup now weighs north of 70lb, and is restricted to dry-land pursuits.

Moral of the story - get a raft, a good cfd and small dog.
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #8

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I second the small dog, raft sentiment.

I canoed with a large dog ONE time and once they are out of the boat you are out of luck. I was unable to drag our 100lb pup back into the canoe which he was trying to climb back into as well. Luckily I had a second paddler so she held his collar and prevented him from capsizing us while I paddled back to shore.

Stay close to shore at first until you get to see if your dog will stay put.

Now we raft and it is easy to pull the dog back in because I can stand up and get some leverage to get the dog back in the boat - it's kinda hard to get much leverage in a canoe or kayak.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dude View Post
you could do like some of the idiots i've seen on our rivers here in CO: make your dog swim/walk/run the entire reach you're running. no kidding i've seen this multiple times. i almost nailed some couple's golden retriever last summer when running shuttle on the poudre because they were making him swim while they paddled. he had to run up to the road to get around some obstacle.
Maybe your dog just sucks. I take mine all the time down the river. Mainly on runs that are not roadside though. Only a few runs are suitable. Shoshone is perfect for the dog to just run alongside the river. A few others are good too like pumphouse and upper C. A lot of rivers are not suitable because of busy roads next to the river. My dog loves running down the bikepath at Shoshone while we kayak. SUP'ing flatwater is good with the dog on the board as well, but SUP'ing rapids are tough with the dog on the board.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I've kayaked Waterton canyon while my wife and dog followed along.
The BEST way to boat with a dog is to use an open canoe. We take our dog along all the time in our Mad River Explorer where the dog can sit between the bow and stern paddlers.
kayapelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking