Kayaking Shoshone at Night - Who uses Headlamps? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-19-2004   #1

Filmmaker
Kayaking Shoshone at Night - Who uses Headlamps?

I was just pondering my night paddling experience on Shoshone and was wondering if people ever paddle at night with headlamps on rivers they are very familiar with.

I have heard of moonlight rafting trips. Do kayakers paddle at night intentionally?
(unlike my semi-unplanned night paddles on Shoshone)

After Hours Paddle and Takeout Party on Shoshone
http://www.savagesnow.com/whitewater..._paddling.html

-Dan

Savage Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2004   #2

dude, I've gotta say, nice score on the gig!!

I would imagine a light might help, with a good waterproof one, but I'm sure some would warn that it's a rather dangerous prospect!! maybe flashers on the bottoms of the boats so you can see if someone's stuck upside down drifting downstream!!!

or how about rigging a light system inside the boats, that would make them all glow all over!!?!??! now that would be sweet!!!
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004   #3

Glow sticks

After a full moon Westwater trip, we figured glow sticks attached to our PFD's would help out a lot next time.
It gets dark in there!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Sean
Alpine Kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2004   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've heard of kayakers taping glow sticks to their helmets at night (maybe use clear packing tape, NOT duct tape). I'd certainly do that if I were boating at night so I could be found if I took a swim...

As for lighting up the kayak from the inside, that's a cool thought but you'd probably need something pretty bright.

I've heard of folks boating Brown's at on full moon nights & that it even gets a bit crowded.

--Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004   #5

I am a writer and boater in Glenwood Springs and this sounds like a pretty cool, unique thing. Would anyone with info or who is organizing a night paddle on Shoshone (or anywhere near Glenwood) give drop me a line.
[email protected] or 970-945-8515 or 303-809-0483

Thanks for your help,

Ryan Graff
duckfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004   #6

I bet you could get those battery operated christmas lights and seal the battery box, it wouldn't be really bright (i.e. enough to help you see) but I bet it'd be fun!!
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004   #7

Filmmaker
Count me in if anyone gets excited about setting up a Shoshone "lighted" night paddle.
It seems that a minimum agreed upon lighting method would have to be settled on for all participants.
That way we would have a realistic chance of being able to spot people in trouble.

I don't know if I know Shoshone well enough to be the lead paddler on such an event. I'm sure hanging back and observing the bobbing lights ahead of you would be the safest manner of proceeding for those who don't know Shoshone intimately.
A full moon on a clear night might be handy as well.

This would make a great entry for my Learning to Kayak journal.
If anyone is really interested, send me an email.
If I get a dozen or so interested persons, I will put together a proposal and email it back to everyone.
[email protected]
Please send your suggestions with the email if you have ideas about how to proceed.
-Dan
Old 07-22-2004   #8

Filmmaker
Hey, I just had another idea....

What if we do Cemetary first as a trial run.
It would have less consequences, and we could make sure our strategies worked as hoped.
Email me to get on the Night Paddle List.
[email protected]
Old 07-22-2004   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Headlamps can be nice for the wearer, but they suck to be around. Everyone else's headlamp will ruin your night vision.

we used to paddle boulder creek at night in winter regularly when they had releases. Your night vision would get pretty good until that one dude with a headlamp came up near you. Headlights from the curvy road really sucked too.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004   #10

Socratic Philosopher
Lemme shed some light on this topic...

I think you could mount a big "NASCAR redneck style" 1/4 wave CB radio whip antenna to the stern (triple mag mount style with a metal plate inside, held in place with flotation) then attach a flare or two to it. Those with billed helmets wouldn't be blinded.

Bonus: When you flip, it would break away and the flare would mark the hazard, becoming a capture the flare contest.

Break 1-9 yellow ducky... looks like we got us a convoy.

Tags
kayaking