Kayaking in Mexico - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-23-2006   #1

Kayaking in Mexico

Does anyone have any beta on kayaking in Mexico (ie - season, flows, locations, etc), anything would be great, thanks

kayakben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2006   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Get the book, Gringo's Guide to Mexican Whitewater. It has all the beta. Also, check out aguaazul.com for some other information.

We are going this coming November for a couple weeks, if you would like to come along. -Ryan
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #3

Central, Colorado
Gringo's is a great guidebook, we relied on it quite a bit.

Some of my notes and pictures from a few trips down there: http://www.slackerdom.com/contents_kayak.html#mexico

tom.
tpalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2006   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I've been down to SLP (Valles area) 6 times and down to Veracruz once. I can provide some good information about shuttles, roads. flows, etc. PM me and I might be able to provide some maps as well..
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #5

Gringos Guide and the Agua Azul website are your best bets.I am compiling a data base for Mexico and Central American rivers,basically just consolidating as much available information as possible from guidebooks,magazines,the web,videos,and personal explorations.It's gonna take a while!Already have at least some beta on 150+ rivers{includes Columbia,Venezuela,Jamaica ,and Dominican Rep.}The focus is on whitewater but will also have flatwater of outstanding scenic value,seakayaking venues,and surfing opportunities.When the sites up i'll post a link.
I am working out an itinerary for the ultimate tour;Veracruz,Agua Azul/Palenque,best of Belize,AltaVerapaces,NW Guat.,Oaxaca,explore Michoacan,and back thru the Huasteca Potosina[Sta, Maria,Valles,Cascadas Micos}.Without the Belize and Guatemala part I believe a well organized group could do it in 4-5 weeks.
If you are interesred in Chiapas you might contact [email protected] he is the new guru for Guatemala and adjacent areas ,see Paddler magazines latest issue.
Ryan I will be driving to Belize via Veracruz and Agua Azul in October or early November ,if all goes well.Maybe we could caravan.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #6

Cayo I am looking for beta on everything between mexico and costa rica. Its hard to find. Specifically guatemala, nicaragua, and honduras. Anything you have would be helpful. If you could email me some stuff I would be forever in your debt. Turrialba at hotmail dot com otherwise i can just wait till you post it online.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #7

Brian,
There is not much available info for Nicaragua,Rio San Juan {border of CR and Nic] has a cool Spanish fort I want to check out,there are some surfable waves nearby but not really a whitewater run.This was the other proposed route for a trans CA canal it comes to within 11 miles of the Pacific.A guide for Island Expeditions is doing a solo expedition sea kayaking from Belize down to the San Juan ,across to the Pacific then up the coast to Vancouver,he might have some beta his name is Dean,I think.There is world class surf near San Juan del Sur and all up the coast,the Lunch Video crew have beta on this .
All the packpackers I met who had been to Nicaragua raved about Isla Ometepec in Lake Nicaragua,for climbing the Volcano.The lake is excellent for sea/touring type paddling.
For whitewater you'll have to explore,I would start with Rio Matagalpa and its tribs,or around Esteli.
There is a guide book for Honduras.Greg Schwendinger was done other first D'S all around Honduras and Guatemala,he lives in Antigua and is always looking for people to boat with and new rivers to explore.La Cieba is the only whitewater hub with outfitters and well known runs.Rio Papolateca,Danto,and Sambo Crk. are highly recomended. Western Honduras around Copan and Gracias has known runs of all difficulties and more to explore.I intend to explore between Corinto and Omoa ,the backdoor to Honduras as the Belizeans call it, I passed through here once and we crossed a buttload of little creeks that are unexplored,most probably too small but i'd bet on a hidden gem or two.
In Guatemala the Polochic comes highly recomended by both Greg and Mad Max. In the same region are the Lanquin,Cahabon,Sauce,and upr. Sarstun,rivers. A Dutch kayaker has set up shop in Lanquin www.Donkey shot[s}.com.The Retiro lodge in Lanquin is one the best places to stay in Central America,like 6 bucks a night excellent food easy to meet cool travelers from around the globe.It's one the Lanquin river III-IV{v+} and access to the Cahabon,above the fantastic Semuc Champey is solid continuous V-V+ leading right into the cave awaiting someone with huge balls ,don't miss the eddy.
I n Belize the whitwater is limited ,but the Moho river is very fun travertine class 3,Macal Gorge III-V[P's},Privassion Crk.IV[p's} on the lower[1st d'd by me and Greg in Dec.}and an upr .hair section awaits video boaters,Rio On and the Sibun Gorge need exploration. T here is light whitewater on the Mopan,Swasey Branch, So. Stann Crk.,and Roaring Crk. Other park/hike and huck opportunities exist.
You are a pro paddler ,no?Areas that warrant exploration IMO are Pq.Nacional El IMPOSSIBLE El Salvador and the stuff around Union Juarez ,Chiapas.
Rambil on too much gotta go,it will be awhile before I get that site going.
Old 03-26-2006   #8

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
done the Moctazuma, Mesquital, and Urique

The likes of Zerkelbach, Nofzinger, Hebblewhite, Keagen, Morgan, and I accomplished the first decents in the '80s and '90 of the Rios: Moctazuma (sp?), Mesquital, and Urique. The Moctazuma (sp?) is not recommended. One will experience a must run blind class 6 for one thing. Another is a questionable 40' waterfall that held a boat behind the falls for 5 minutes. Just to name a couple of the dangers. It is like a 6 day narrows of the Black Canyon experience.

The Mesquital is great, except for 150 miles of paddle out with little drop or action. Being it was unexpected to be like that, we were doing 50 miles a day for three days and overtaxing the ligaments. The take out was a welcome site. The first 90 miles are good adventure, though.

The Urique is all good. There is lots of V and V+. However, the most worrisome danger there in 1990 was the Banditos. They were having there way with anyone they encountered. Robbery, torture, rape, and murder was rampant throughout the canyon and even on the rim. Hopefully, the military has taken control of the area. I had a call from someone that went recently and, though they hiked out at the half way point, they weren't aware of any the threat of Banditos at all.

Mexico boating is way cool .. and can be way dangerous. Enjoy and be smart.
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #9
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Re: done the Moctazuma, Mesquital, and Urique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vanatta
The Mesquital is great, except for 150 miles of paddle out with little drop or action. Being it was unexpected to be like that, we were doing 50 miles a day for three days and overtaxing the ligaments. The take out was a welcome site. The first 90 miles are good adventure, though.
Ken, What would you say the ideal time/flow for this run is? How many portages did you encounter? Does anyone know what happened to the poor chap who lost both his legs on the first attempt (as mentioned in GG)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vanatta
The Urique is all good. There is lots of V and V+. However, the most worrisome danger there in 1990 was the Banditos. They were having there way with anyone they encountered. Robbery, torture, rape, and murder was rampant throughout the canyon and even on the rim. Hopefully, the military has taken control of the area. I had a call from someone that went recently and, though they hiked out at the half way point, they weren't aware of any the threat of Banditos at all.
Again wondering about the ideal season/flow. GG is kinda strange in that it doesn't mention the season or even the rating in their overview of each run - you have to gleen it out of the writeup if its there at all. It has good maps tho.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #10

Mania,
American Whitewater July/August 2001 ,cover story is about the Mesquital .' National Parks of Northern Mexico' by Richard Fisher is an excellent source of info about the Copper Canyon,including some about river running.His other book ' Majestic Canyons of Light and Stone' is also awesome and would surely interest canyon lovers of all ilks.
I will try to extract some logistical beta for you. Gringo's Guide is awesome in certain respects,covers some great rivers,but lacking in that they don't give difficulty and seasonal beta very clearly and an over emphasis on geology. I'd loan you that mag and book if your'e around Denver sometime. Are you 'Snoop's" brother?

Tags
kayaking