Kayaking Chile info needed - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-26-2009   #1

Student
Kayaking Chile info needed

Heading down to the Futa in a couple weeks (Feb 8th). We are dialed for that area but need some info on other cool places to boat. Pucan sounds awesome, we will have all our gear except kayaks. Is there a place in Pucan to rent creek boats? Any other areas that would be a must stop? Also curious about what clothing to bring? (for off the river and travelling) I know it is summer, but any info would be great. Amped!!
Thanks, Atom...

atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009   #2

Denver, Colorado
rodrigo and emma at kayak pucon are great folks. they can hook you up with boats and probably even give you advice on a place to stay. it is late for the creekin season but if you have a car you could probably still get the puesco, fuy, and gol gol. about 1 hr, 2 hr and 4 hrs from pucon respectively.

id bring a rain jacket because it can always rain even in the middle of summer. futa can have crazy weather. it is going to be a lot like a colorado summer until you get all the way to patagonia, then a little less predictable weather.

have fun!! go all the way to the baker while you are down there, it may be your last chance to get that one. also, you could get a nice big water warm up on the futa and then get freaked out on that huge shit.

gonna have a car?
bwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #3
Fred Gnarquist

carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
yeah rodrigo and emma will hook you up, and are awesome people as well, rodrigo runs the shit too, so he is no newcomer to chilean whitewater. Kayak Pucon. The puesco dropped out long ago before i left, fuy and gol gol are still running, although i hear middle fuy is awesome right now. talk to evan garcia, he knows whats up EGCREEKIN he is in pucon right now. When you get to Futa find Futa explorers, i know the owner and they are good people. IF you also need a place to stay in Pucon, and rodrigo cant find a place for ya, i have some connections, and could get you something, PM me. Chile is sooo amazing, i wish i was going there soon, and hit up mamas y tapas in pucon for a good party scene. Volcanburger is pretty good along with most places in pucon, although watchout for gringo pricing. It will be hot there, mostly shorts and t shirts, although definetly bring a rain coat, a hoodie, and some carharts incase it rains. And lastly, run the shit because chile has some of the best shit out there, i miss it so! goodluck
fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009   #4

FC, Colorado
I am in Futa now and judging by water levels you are probably going to want to spend most of your time from the futa south. Itīs really the only place you can count on for water. We were in Pucon a few weeks ago for one day and the Palguin was the only thing in. We lapped the upper five times and left. There are some obsure, remote rivers nescessitating lots of driving that we got on between Santiago and Pucon and some of those rivers may still be going, but there isnīt too much you can count on 100 percent. We checked out the fuy and gol gol south of pucon on the way to futa and they were low ten days ago, so will probably be too low by febuary. We are heading south to the Baker, Bravo and others in a few days and plan to be back on the futa by the 20th of feb. for the festiaval. pm me when you arrive. Also, bring a dry suit for the patagonian weather because it can piss rain and get frickin cold. I wish I brough mine.
Ben
Shitouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #5

Also check out the Michimouida near Chaiten on your way to Futa. I think it'll be running but not completely sure.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #6

carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
yes the michimahuida is always in during summer. definately check it out if you're near chaiten. it runs close to the termas amarillo. pucon has two place to rent creekers. if you are there you will find them. both located on main street.
there is very predictable stout stuff that runs all summer to the north of pucon as well. just ask when you are in town.
onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #7

Student
Thanks

Big thanks to everyone for all the info. Much appreciated. Someone mentioned a drysuit for the Futa area stuff. Any input on that? I have one but it is kinda bulky to carry around. Figured a good drytop and splash pants would work. Thanks, Atom...
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #8

carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
no drysuit needed
onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #9

When I was there in Dec/Jan, a drysuit was by no means necessary but would have been really nice. Kind of like Gore in October. Your call.

D
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chile, kayaking