Kayaking around Boulder, CO - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-10-2008   #1

Fort Lee, New Jersey
Kayaking around Boulder, CO

Hi all,

I live in the Northeast and I'm investigating places to move. Right now, I'm in Boulder, CO. I love it love it love it, but have some questions about the kayaking in the area.

I am a class 2+, starting to get into class 3 boater. Some people I have talked to say there isn't much of that level around here, and that most of the runs are class 4 and 5 creeks. Others say, oh yeah there's plenty of 2 and 3 stuff!

Some say that, because it's all natural flow around here, there are only a few months when things are really running. Others say there's stuff to do year round.

So...can anyone set me straight? If the kayaking I want is available, I am seriously considering making this move.

And by the way, I have no problem driving a few hours. I'm used to driving an hour and a half just to get to a park and play spot!

Thanks!

samhandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008   #2

Metro Area, Colorado
Depends on what you consider *around* Boulder.

Boulder Creek Town Run is class III. Other than that, what you have heard is correct.

If you are willing to drive 30-60 minutes from Boulder there are plenty of II-III options. Check out a local guide book or click on the "Flows" tab up top and read run descriptions.

A lot to do in Boulder other than kayaking too.

Good luck and welcome!
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #3

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
With you being willing to drive there is plenty of class 2-3 and a ton of everything else

Withing couple hours decent class 2 and 3 +:
-Clear Creek (Golden Play Park and Kermits section) - 30 minutes or more with traffic
-Chutes - hour plus
-Foxton - hour plus
-Waterton - hour plus
-Lyons town run and playpark- 30 minutes
-Poudre (the farthest away but awesome river and good beginner sections)
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008   #4

Denver, Colorado
Thanks for posting this! I'm new to Boulder, CO as well, and love it here. However, I've been reading guide books and this site and it is all very difficult to keep straight. Back in PA it was pretty much the Lehigh or the Tohikon (which only really run like twice a year unless you were watching the rain very carefully and weren't too far).

I was just checking the Flows tab up top, it seems like anything listed as "South Platte" is not too far from Boulder (please correct me if I am wrong), and there seems to be a good mix of classes. What would be the next closest region to keep an eye on? I also used to have to drive a bit to boat as well. So anything within like 2hrs is not far in my opinion.
Old 04-10-2008   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
All the Arkansas runs are 2.5-3 hours away.

Year round boating pretty much doesn't happen here.

If you REALLY want it you can find something within the state each month, but it will be more to say you did it than because it was actually good.

The good options are more like may- september.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #6

Yeah, the boating in Colorado is seasonal depending on snow melt so you are talking at best April, May, June, July and possibly August for the most part. You won't see any substantial rain to bring things up after that. You can't fight mother nature, so If I was moving someplace just for the kayaking I would pick someplace like the Carolinas, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland or PA where you can usually boat year round depending on dam releases, heavy rain or snowmelt. You can not beat Colorado for the skiing and dry, sunny weather though.
PhillyBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #7

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
There are plenty of local runs in the 2 - 3 range, a few of which are;

Boulder Creek Town Run

Clear Creek (Golden) Tunnel 1 down to Coors & Idaho Springs to the intersection of I-70 and Hwy 6

North Fork St. Vrain (Lyons) About 1/2mile past the turn off to Button rock Damn all the way back down through the town of Lyons. Take the dirt road towards the damn.

Poudre (Ft Collins) Filter plant run

South Platt (Bailey Area) Foxton (North Fork) and then there is another run on the south fork just down the road. You can take both all the way to the confluence. Dont worry, these are way up stream of Denver.

Arkansas The whole thing is about 2 2.5 hours away.

Blue (Dillon Area) About two hours.

Once you get confident on 3s there are lots of what I would call gentle 4s on these rivers as well as a couple of other rivers in the area.

Shoot me a PM if you do decide to stay in the area and want to get out and run a few. I didnt hit the water at all last year so Ill be interested in starting on some of the smaller stuff when the snow starts melting and Boulder or the St Vrain are excellent after work runs. I also have an above ground pool if you are interested in working on your roll.

Pete
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #8

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
There are plenty of local runs in the 2 - 3 range, a few of which are;

Boulder Creek – Town Run

Clear Creek (Golden) – Tunnel 1 down to Coors & Idaho Springs to the intersection of I-70 and Hwy 6

North Fork St. Vrain (Lyons) – About 1/2mile past the turn off to Button rock Damn all the way back down through the town of Lyons. Take the dirt road towards the damn.

Poudre (Ft Collins) – Filter plant run

South Platt – (Bailey Area) – Foxton (North Fork) and then there is another run on the south fork just down the road. You can take both all the way to the confluence. Don’t worry, these are way up stream of Denver.

Arkansas – The whole thing is about 2 – 2.5 hours away.

Blue (Dillon Area) – About two hours.

Once you get confident on 3’s there are lot’s of what I would call gentle 4’s on these rivers as well as a couple of other rivers in the area.

Shoot me a PM if you do decide to stay in the area and want to get out and run a few. I didn’t hit the water at all last year so I’ll be interested in starting on some of the smaller stuff when the snow starts melting and Boulder or the St Vrain are excellent after work runs. I also have an above ground pool if you are interested in working on your roll.

Pete
I'm stoked for snow melt, as I live at Gold Run Condos, which is about 200ft from boulder creek just before the 30th street bridge. Will be nice to take out, and walk to my place. Then a short bike ride back to my car.
Old 04-10-2008   #9

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Let me know if you want to hook up and run some stuff.
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #10

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
Let me know if you want to hook up and run some stuff.
A/S/L? Then we can talk about hooking up, haha.

I would like to run some stuff with ya though regardless.

Tags
boulder, kayaking