Kayakers on Gore Sunday - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-09-2008   #1
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Kayakers on Gore Sunday

Thanks to all of the kayakers who stuck around in the big rapids to help us with safety. Also thanks to Wayniac for running with us and helping keep everyone safe. It was a super fun trip! Raftus is a great guide and an excellent can crusher!

Also, if anyone has pictures/video of our raft would you mind uploading them or posting a link?

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008   #2
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I second all of that...
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
I second all of that...
I can't believe you stopped paddling!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008   #4
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Only because I couldn't grab the strap with your hands all over it... where exactly was your paddle?
Old 09-09-2008   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
I had to stop when you did so my huge stroke wouldn't turn us in the hole! Next time I'll just tie the strap around my ankle!
Old 09-09-2008   #6
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
I'm not sure what you were stroking, but I don't think it was making a big difference in where the boat went.
Old 09-09-2008   #7
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Sorry. Matt has that effect on me!

I hope the kayakers respond with pictures. We're doing a pretty good job of keeping this thread at the top!
Old 09-09-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
I had to stop when you did so my huge stroke wouldn't turn us in the hole! Next time I'll just tie the strap around my ankle!
Yeah, good idea. Kjirsten and Sean aren't that good at strapping things down in the raft anyways. But I've offered to let them continue to practice with my gear any time they want.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #9
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Randy, yeah, Matt is pretty- I can understand, but I'm sure next time Sean would rather you didn't stroke like that in the middle of Toiletbowl.

Derk, we made a conscious decision while underwater and highsiding to sacrifice your map in favor of holding on to the beer- it was a choice the river gods required of us to stay upright in Quartzite at 3600 in February.

Pictures of Gore, Kayakers?
Old 09-09-2008   #10

niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
you can take your time on the photos/videos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Thanks to all of the kayakers who stuck around in the big rapids to help us with safety. Also thanks to Wayniac for running with us and helping keep everyone safe. It was a super fun trip! Raftus is a great guide and an excellent can crusher!

Also, if anyone has pictures/video of our raft would you mind uploading them or posting a link?
Ditto the comments here with regard to all the kayakers who stuck around- especially Ted who kept it light for me while I had the sketchiest run of my career. And for Jordan, Matt, Kirsten, Randy and of course, Sean- who ran the cleanest lines I've seen in Gore in a while- thanks for having me along. With respect to pics and video, I could almost wait on those. For those that weren't there (and remember, Sean had a nearly flawless paddle crew run) it went something like this: Applesauce- knew I might have trouble when my line here took me right over the top of the mess on the left. Gore- Entered the drop, got blown left, highsided over the falls, ran Ginger (totally) backwards, recovered my oars in time to go over both Scissors and Pyrite the wrong way. Tunnel- more fun- got blown left then ran (backwards) over the falls into the converging currents coming off river left. I did recover though, enough to punch Toilet uneventfully, then had a fun (really) run through Kirshbaum. There appears to be a definite difference between 1000 and 1400 in case anyone wants to know. And we were able to see some incredible kayak lines through most of the rapids. I do understand that some of the kayakers did swim at Toilet. As for me, I was fortunate not to flip- or ever come out of my boat. And to quote someone who watched,- "as often as I was off the oars I should have considered doing it in an inner tube- might have been more effective". But the cat's always been smarter to me and I'm not afraid to admit that. Between nearly endoing, surfing and running stuff backwards it took care of me once again.
And the canyon was beautiful as usual.
wayne
wayniac is offline   Reply With Quote