Kayakers Create Their Own Religion - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-17-2006   #1

Pucon Chile Paddling Since: 1990
Kayakers Create Their Own Religion

http://kayakschool.org/ahe/news/students/michelle.html

Imagine founding your own religion, creating your own rules and creeds. What do you find important in the world? Are there certain tasks that everyone following your religion should partake in? Jake Greenbaum and Alex Mohn, the two students in John Trembley’s World Literature class were given the opportunity this week to create their own personal religions. The purpose of this project was to discuss what role religion plays in life and what constitutes a meaningful life.

Article is written by Michelle Yates. Michelle is the winner of the 2005-2006 AW/Huge Experiences Academic Scholarship.

…and that has made all the difference.

David Hughes

gohuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2006   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I thought we had one already?

1. spend as much time as you can boating.
2. if you cant boat then talk about it.
3. if you cant talk about it then think about it.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #3

Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
and...

always...always slow down on every bridge to pray to the boating and water Gods and check the flow visually.

Pope McNasty IV said, yea, though I air-wheel off into the Vallecito of Death, I shall fear no bloated Elk pin hazard. For Butt plastic is my shield and protector and leadeth me through Fuzzy Bunny
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2006   #4

legend
what's funny: My buddy Calef had this Idea two years ago and was so set on starting a religion based on outdoor sports. He wanted to have powder days and high water days as religious holidays.

Now he is the head whitewater coach at Huge Experiences....wonder if he had anything to do with this.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #5
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Re: and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvhyde
always...always slow down on every bridge to pray to the boating and water Gods and check the flow visually.

Pope McNasty IV said, yea, though I air-wheel off into the Vallecito of Death, I shall fear no bloated Elk pin hazard. For Butt plastic is my shield and protector and leadeth me through Fuzzy Bunny
ha ha ha well put....what is the god of waters name? who should we pay homage to?
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006   #6

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
This entire thread is a sacrelige. You would be wise not to offend the Flying Spaghetti Monster, for fear that he might smote thee with his noodly appendage.
Old 10-20-2006   #7

I had always thought about kayaking being a religion, because I've always felt more spiritual on the water, and out in nature...especially when soloing a run with no one around. Then I started reading up on Taoism, and found that everything I was thinking was in line with this ancient religion...so now I'm a Taoist. All the Taoist literature I've been reading constantly mentions: go with the flow, be like the river, "to be like water is the essential Tao", exist alongside nature, etc, etc. The only thing I have a problem with, is one book says to limit sex to once every 3 days, and to have it less in the winter than in the spriing, like animals mating in the wild. What else is there to do on cold winter nights when you're as sexy as my avatar pic?
IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote