Kayakers and fisherman - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-20-2019   #1

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Kayakers and fisherman

How can we educate Kayakers that if they see a fisherman it is common courtesy to go to the other side of the river, and not just Kayak right down the lane of the fisherman.

Had 3 Kayakers do that to me today.

Salidaboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2019   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I fish, I kayak, I raft, I tube, I canoe - will never SUP, F*ck that noise.

Sharing the river means interacting with others. Sometimes that is not the “perfect” way for either party. Yes, if at all possible kayakers should not disturb a fisherman and keep a distance. Fisherman sitting at a play spot or the only navigable river channel should expect to be disturbed. Don’t know the details or your interactions but everyone should be giving a little and respecting other users.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019   #3
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
How can we educate fishers that if they see a kayaker it is common courtesy to go to the other side of the river, and not just fish right down the lane of the kayaker.

Had 3 fishers do that to me today.
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019   #4
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
I fish. I paddle kayaks. I paddle canoes. I row rafts. I even do a little grabbing crabs and spearfishing. Some anglers prefer kayaks to go far to the other side from where they are standing, but some anglers are FISHING the opposite side, and they want you to hug the bank near them. I always like to ask if anything's on the bite as I approach and ask WHERE they want me to go. If possible, I oblige.

I can't count the times that after we've gone by, an angler gets FISH ON. Surely when Steelhead are running, they move and hold, move and hold. They bite when they're on the move. If a kayak goes over where a chromie is holding, it often will move it out of the eddy, and then angler gets a bite.

Years ago there was an angler fishing in one of the very few play spots on a local river. Our group had stopped there for lunch. There was plenty of room to fish the eddy and the seam -- not just on the play feature. I had an angler try to hit me with his lure -- bounced it off my deck. What an f-tard.
Will Amette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019   #5
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salidaboater View Post
How can we educate Kayakers that if they see a fisherman it is common courtesy to go to the other side of the river, and not just Kayak right down the lane of the fisherman.

Maybe try talking to them in person instead of crying on the internet.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019   #6

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salidaboater View Post

Engage them.

I fish and I boat. If I'm playing a fish or casting to one as boaters approach, I either pull my line out and wait, or if I'm right into something I'll engage them and ask them to hold up a second.

They can't read your mind. They don't know where the fish are, nor do they see the river the way you do.

You have to engage them and help them to understand.
Old 04-22-2019   #7
Geologist | Photographer

Longmont, Colorado
Fly fishermen need to understand river etiquette...play spots need to be shared. Boats coming from upstream have the right of way.

Last year, I had to do a wet exit because 8 rafters kept bumping into me as I tried to roll up for a 3rd time. I swam with my paddle into a fisherman to keep from going over a low head dam...this was serious survival mode. I was screamed at by the fisherman. He did not get it.
Dejan Smaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Amette View Post
I fish. I paddle kayaks. I paddle canoes. I row rafts. I even do a little grabbing crabs and spearfishing. Some anglers prefer kayaks to go far to the other side from where they are standing, but some anglers are FISHING the opposite side, and they want you to hug the bank near them. I always like to ask if anything's on the bite as I approach and ask WHERE they want me to go. If possible, I oblige.

I can't count the times that after we've gone by, an angler gets FISH ON. Surely when Steelhead are running, they move and hold, move and hold. They bite when they're on the move. If a kayak goes over where a chromie is holding, it often will move it out of the eddy, and then angler gets a bite.

Years ago there was an angler fishing in one of the very few play spots on a local river. Our group had stopped there for lunch. There was plenty of room to fish the eddy and the seam -- not just on the play feature. I had an angler try to hit me with his lure -- bounced it off my deck. What an f-tard.
This, all of it.

I don't fish, but I try to stay on the far side of the river. Make eye contact and a friendly wave. If they want you to come under their rod, it's on them to say so...but should be an easy ask if you've established eye contact and are moving toward the opposite shore to show your intention.

It's a shared resource. The guy fishing a play spot and expecting to remain undisturbed, and the guy who paddles directly over the lure in an open channel are both arseholes.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019   #9
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan Smaic View Post
Last year, I had to do a wet exit because 8 rafters kept bumping into me as I tried to roll up for a 3rd time.
Why were you upside down in a raft lane?
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019   #10
Geologist | Photographer

Longmont, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
This, all of it.

I don't fish, but I try to stay on the far side of the river. Make eye contact and a friendly wave. If they want you to come under their rod, it's on them to say so...but should be an easy ask if you've established eye contact and are moving toward the opposite shore to show your intention.

It's a shared resource. The guy fishing a play spot and expecting to remain undisturbed, and the guy who paddles directly over the lure in an open channel are both arseholes.
I certainly don't think the kayaker paddling over a lure into a play spot is an asshole. Sometimes, you have no choice but to drop in. Usually, paddlers coming into a drop yell out coming through...at least I do. Anyone can be a fisherman, not everyone can be a kayaker. With that said, kayakers understand | have a better sense of river etiquette.
Dejan Smaic is offline   Reply With Quote