Kayak Trips? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-28-2010   #1

Williamsville, New York
Kayak Trips?

Hey everyone, so I'm just starting out and am curious about something. When you guys do trips and what not either for the day or a couple days, what do you do at the end? Do you always just have someone park at the end, then go pick them up, bring them back to the start and go from there? That's what I currently do with my flat water yak but the creek we go on is only like a mile from my house so it isn't a big deal. Getting into whitewater, I'll have to travel a lot more to get to the rivers. Its gonna be tough taking 2 vehicles 5 hours plus an extra hour to get to the finishing point plus another hour to get back to the start. Its especially tough cuz we only have 3 people to go with. Are there any other ways going about this?

I'm trying to get my buddies into it but this always is a reason for them not wanting to.

Thanks!

Dan

Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010   #2

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Join Colorado Whitewater:

www.coloradowhitewater.org

DON'T JUST GO OUT AN RUN A RIVER! BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN. TAKE A LESSON FIRST AND DONT BOAT ALONE!

You really should hook up with a group of boaters and learn the ropes. If you don't want to join the club, then start joining trips here on the trip planner, but make sure you let the other boaters know that you are a beginner and will need their help.

What you are referring to is called a shuttle. Yep, we shuttle . It sucks, and it takes extra time, but it's usually a necessary evil. You can sometimes pay someone to shuttle your car, but its pricey.

Good luck and welcome to whitewater!

Kim

Kim
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
The essence of shuttle & logistics

When it comes to shuttle and logistics you have a couple of options. You are already familar with the short trip and hike/bike back option it sounds like.
1. Have enough buddies on your trip to justify 2 vehicles and set a car shuttle this is the usual method.
2. Next is the one vehicle option with the hope of meeting other boaters to set shuttle with or hitch, which could leave you with a long walk if unsucessful (recommend bike backup).
3. One vehicle with a motorcycle/scooter that you bring with is good if you have one and a way to transport.
4. Commercial shuttle services at certain rivers will shuttle vehicles for a price. Good for really long shuttles in remote places.
5. Shuttle Bunny: Get someone that doesnt boat to run the shuttle for you. This is by far the best option though it often has a high price for the significant other of the said shuttle bunny especially if they are seasoned and know how not to get lost. If you every get one for your paddling crew take care of them and shower with gifts and praise.
ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010   #4

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclowe View Post
Join Colorado Whitewater:

www.coloradowhitewater.org

DON'T JUST GO OUT AN RUN A RIVER! BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN. TAKE A LESSON FIRST AND DONT BOAT ALONE!

You really should hook up with a group of boaters and learn the ropes. If you don't want to join the club, then start joining trips here on the trip planner, but make sure you let the other boaters know that you are a beginner and will need their help.

What you are referring to is called a shuttle. Yep, we shuttle . It sucks, and it takes extra time, but it's usually a necessary evil. You can sometimes pay someone to shuttle your car, but its pricey.

Good luck and welcome to whitewater!

Kim

Kim
While she has some good points, I think joining COWW is probably not your best option. The drive from New York to Colorado takes a bit more time than 5 hours.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #5

Summit County, and Idaho

No need for shuttle if you just drop from a plane like Miles!!
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #6

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
While she has some good points, I think joining COWW is probably not your best option. The drive from New York to Colorado takes a bit more time than 5 hours.

Ha! Yeah, I guess I didn't notice that. Sorry. You should find a paddle club in your area if possible. Also, trip planning on the buzz probably isn't your best option, either!

Kim
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #7

Williamsville, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseybailey View Post
Thanks for noticing, lol. Nobody notices that. If I lived in Colorado, I would already be in the club and be kayaking with all of you already!

Thanks for the responses, I definitely gotta meet some kayakers up here.
Old 04-28-2010   #8

Williamsville, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclowe View Post

Ha! Yeah, I guess I didn't notice that. Sorry. You should find a paddle club in your area if possible. Also, trip planning on the buzz probably isn't your best option, either!

Kim
Lol, thats ok, I've been noticing trip planner is awesome but none are anywhere near me .
Old 04-28-2010   #9
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Have you checked out BoaterTalk? It seems like they are mostly south of you, but still a lot closer than Colorado.

BoaterTalk: Whitewater kayaking, canoeing and rafting information
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #10
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I sure have hitchhiked a lot of shuttles. For one stretch we would actually surf at the wave until we heard a car coming, then we would take turns running like hell for the road.

Worked great mostly. There was more than a few shuttles hiked, jogged, run in the dark too when no one came.

If you drive past the take out on the way to the put in you can drop a mtn bike there too.

Best not to boat alone though.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking