Kayak Transport Options - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-22-2009   #1

Fulford, Colorado
Kayak Transport Options

I have searched around and am still drawing a blank. I have an 03 Tundra with a Vision shell. Recently I built a sleeping platform in the bed that is just amazing. The problem is I have absolutely no room for boats (nor would i want to put wet boats on my bed) and have been looking into different rack options. Unfortunately my topper did not come with any attachment points on the roof. I have looked into doing a Thule or Yakima load bar system but dont want to drill the topper whatsoever. I have also played with the idea of welding myself a ladder rack. I have the materials and means to do so but dont like the high profile of the ladder rack. I have been playing with a few other ideas but dont know how well they would work. I am looking for something that is low profile, simple, can accomodate up to 4 (or 6?) boats, doesnt require drilling the topper and doesnt require a ladder to strap everything down. I am open to any ideas, plans, pipe dreams, etc.

Thanks for your time and hope to see you on the river!

elcaposwimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009   #2

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
You can get a Yakima to fit on the cab of the truck.
Yakima Racks, Bike Racks, Roof Racks for Skis, Cargo & Kayaks - Yakima
They have a pretty comprehensive web site for what you need.
Old 05-22-2009   #3

Fulford, Colorado
i like the idea but would it work if your topper tapers to 12" higher than the cab?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009   #4

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
if you have the materials and the means to make you own then you should do it for sure. i have a quad cab dodge 2500 long bed with a topper, and i built myself a 14' ladder rack that is very trim to the truck. it is a pain to build around the topper because you need a lot of welding blankets (don't use plywood, i gave myself some unnecessary scratches) to keep the paint and windows spatter free. the other big thing to remember with the ladder rack over a topper is your truck bed is tapered from from to back (mine is 4" narrower at the tailgate). this makes removing the rack/topper a hassle as the only way to have a tight to truck rack is to remove the whole unit, then walk the topper forward thru the rack...sucks but aside from bolting the rack to the bed rail tabs you don't have many options.
spend the money and have it powder coated, it shows no signs of rust at all after a winter in the mountains. it can be expensive, $250-$500 depending on where you go but it is worth it in the long run. good luck, get er dun
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #5

Fulford, Colorado
the only problem i have with a ladder rack is how tall its going to be. my truck barely makes it through most parking garages as is. there are a lot of scratches and scuffs up there from the previous owner. other then that i could see welding a step ladder onto the rack for quick and easy up and down.
Old 05-22-2009   #6

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcaposwimteam View Post
i like the idea but would it work if your topper tapers to 12" higher than the cab?
It should work depending on how long your boats are and how quickly the topper rises up, how long is the cab on the Tundra?
Old 05-22-2009   #7

Fulford, Colorado
I think its called the access or xtra cab. its got the two front doors then two smaller suicide doors for the back seat. My concern was the boats. I have a little 2Fun but most of my friends are running heros/super heroes.
Old 05-23-2010   #8

Gardena, California
Paddling Since: 1969
Truck rack options

If you have an open truck bed, you can use the L2S Sport Rack Brackets to mount your Thule & Yakima accessories. This way you don't have to put a gutter mount on your cab. It's low profile and very functional. It's what I use. Don't have a pic with my kayak, but here's my other gear on it. Truck rack & accessory link Love 2 Surf - Truck Racks and Accessories - equipping you with accessories that help you do what you love-2-do Home Page
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	2640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack & Accessories Top View.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	2641  

Love2Surf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags