Kayak Seat Position - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Kayak Seat Position

Hey Buzzards,

Bought a Remix 69 today and took it for a spin. Overall, the boat outfitting felt great, snug, easy to adjust and didn't take long to fit.

Only issue was the boat seemed to keep almost spinning out and being easily deflected by waves, especially in current. Which unfortunately left left me heading sideways into several holes, despite trying my best to clean the track up on the way in.

I'm not sure if this has to with seat position but considering I just picked it up, I thought it might be, seeing if this sounds like the symptoms to change the seat and for recommendations on determining the best seat position.

Thanks! (Rapid attached for fun)
Attached Files
This video is currently processing...

Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
All symptoms of being too far back. Either the seat position, or not ratcheting yourself far enough into the front.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
As a Remix 79 paddler for years, ColoradoDave I think has it correct.

My Remix was very sensitive to the seat position IE weight distribution. I also liked posture that had my chest slightly forward of center.

Normally for my creek type kayaks, I tuned for a slightly bow heavy setup as I liked to "carve" off the bow style of creek boating.

My system to find the seat "sweet" spot was to take the boat to a spot where I could make the same moves over and over. Mark the boat sides where I thought the center point was. Then move the seat forward just a little. Do my test moves several times. Go back and move the seat again and repeat the test moves until the boat felt "right" to me. Then do a test run on several real rapids.

The sweet spot may well move a bit depending on what you are wearing. That is a summer run in a tee shirt layer will be different from a run with a full set of winter layers like dry suit or wet suit.

Now probably out of the current main design trends of kayaks, I found the Remix series to be one of the best all around kayak designs out there. When tuned to the kayaker a very comfortable and predictable river runner.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
I'll give pull the seat forward tonight and head back out there.

The rapid is pretty long but I've just been lapping it, which is how I noticed it continued to do the same spins in the same situations.

Thanks for the answers, I'll reply again after figuring the seat out if anyone else ends up searching the topic.
Attached Files
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

I have remix 69 bought new some years back. The way a seat position came seems ok. But do like to ratchet seat forward when the water gets tough.

One thing I'd do before moving seat is check the trim. Sit in boat normal position on flat water and have someone look if you are a little bow heavy or stern heavy. If you are level I might play with bulk/backband before moving seat.
treewell is offline   Reply With Quote