Kayak Paddle Question - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-14-2008   #1

Front Range, Colorado
Kayak Paddle Question

My kayak paddle has water inside it that will not drain out (e.g when I tilt my paddle back and forth I can hear lots of water sloshing inside the shaft.) Any suggestions on how to get it out/prevent this problem? Is not that big a deal, but definitely makes the paddle a little heavier.

passport is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008   #2

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by passport View Post
My kayak paddle has water inside it that will not drain out (e.g when I tilt my paddle back and forth I can hear lots of water sloshing inside the shaft.) Any suggestions on how to get it out/prevent this problem? Is not that big a deal, but definitely makes the paddle a little heavier.
It means you have a structural failure somewhere in the paddle. If you can find where the failure occurred, you could drill it, drain it and glass it, but I'd guess that the paddle is on it's last legs, probably just want to replace it.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #3

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
or glue it

If you can find the leaking area, like a cracked blade - you might be able to position it so most the water will drain out, esp if left out in the hot sun.

Or, you can drill one or two tiny holes and drain it out. When it's drained, you can use a good epoxy to glue up the holes and the leaky area. May also want to glue up any seams/connecting points.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking