kayak for big guy? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-18-2010   #1

galveston, Texas
Paddling Since: 2010
kayak for big guy?

peaple,i need some help.could someone tell me the best whitewater kayak and or crossover for a guy that weighs over 300 pounds?i see that is the weight limit on alot of them.thanks.

cathoundtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
if you are creeking, Jackson Mega Rocker is a very big kayak.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #3

castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I think the old rpm max was up there as well
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
Pyranha Everest.
Old 04-18-2010   #5

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Liquidlogic Remix XP10, 105gals, sweet huge bow hatch and stern storage, drop down skeg for that flat water experience. True expedition machine, tried an true in the Grand Canyon self-supported. Come by and try one out....

TMCK
TenMileCreekKayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #6

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
The Dagger Approach 10.0 is 100 gallons or better too, it is rated for up to class III water. It also has a drop down skeg like the Remix but is a more affordable boat because it's not quite as heavy duty as a Remix.

My husband and I started out in the Dagger Approaches, he is over 300 lbs too -he is actually still at 325 and now paddles a Jackson Superfun and Super Hero. Plan on getting your ass kicked in a Mega Rocker or any displacement hull boats.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #7

Jenks, Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
Plan on getting your ass kicked in a Mega Rocker or any displacement hull boats.
I have to throw the BS flag on the above quote.

I have a Mega Rocker and a Super Hero and find both of them take equally good care of me.

Been boating since the 70's, spending time in what ever designs were available and got my ass kicked and saved in all of them.

Just my opinion here, 90 percent of the ass kicking or saving is a result of the person operating the boat not the boat design.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #8

Land of Lovin, Colorado
^^

The OP sounds new, I stand by my comment. As a new boater it is MUCH easier to stay upright with chines or edges on a boat. Displacement hulls have excellent secondary stability which is great once you know how to brace and balance but as a new boater they are tippy and feel unstable. As a new boater primary stability is your friend, thus a non-displacement hull recommendation.
Old 04-19-2010   #9

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
And I respectfully disagree. A new boater will have a much easier time rolling a displacement hull boat than a chined boat, especially if they are not properly taught how to trail with their heads. Bracing and balancing are one of the very first things taught during ACA kayaking courses, so that argument only works if they are not taught "by the book". Of course, if you're talking about hardshelling while over 300lbs, you might as well get into the long lost art of squirt boating, which might be pretty rad in an RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
^^

The OP sounds new, I stand by my comment. As a new boater it is MUCH easier to stay upright with chines or edges on a boat. Displacement hulls have excellent secondary stability which is great once you know how to brace and balance but as a new boater they are tippy and feel unstable. As a new boater primary stability is your friend, thus a non-displacement hull recommendation.
FruitSalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #10

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Using your logic I still say displacement hulls are not for beginners - yes they may be easier to roll but isn't it better to learn to roll in a difficult boat so your roll is better?

You guys have been paddling for a long time, maybe you have forgotten what it is like to be new.

Tags
kayaking