Kayak Bike trailer - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-12-2013   #1
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Kayak Bike trailer

Folks,
what is the latest and greatest in kayak bike trailers? Is extra cycle still the best out there?

I am looking for something for either road or mtn bike. It would need to be very efficient as I have a good hill to climb.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I was thinking of the Surly trailers, probably the smaller one:

Bikes | Surly Bikes
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #3
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Thanks for the reply. The trailers look nice but they weigh 30lbs. I'd be interested to see how much harder it is to pull a 30 lb trailer loaded with kayak gear.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Why not use a boat cart? The boat becomes the trailer. If you have enough storage space in your boat, you can even haul the cart with you down the river. You would have to rig up the tow bar yourself.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #5
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Look on Goog Images for "Bike Trailer" There are lots of pics of modified kid carriers.
I made a boat trailer out of one of the old cheap kid carriers (the one with the orange plastic tub that they sit in). I replaced the tub with a 2x4 mounted to the axle at one end and the tongue at the other. Then strap a kayak or canoe to the board. Worked great.
Old 02-13-2013   #6

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Yeah kid carriers are good too. I actually have one, a Nordic Cab, the superstructure comes off and its probably slightly less than 30lbs. But they are only certified up to about 50lbs or so. Not enough for creek boat and gear, and atleast with mine I'm pretty sure it would break much beyond the limit.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #7
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklars View Post
Yeah kid carriers are good too. I actually have one, a Nordic Cab, the superstructure comes off and its probably slightly less than 30lbs. But they are only certified up to about 50lbs or so. Not enough for creek boat and gear, and atleast with mine I'm pretty sure it would break much beyond the limit.
Nah... weight limit schmieght limit.
I had a canoe, day trip gear and 2 kids riding on the one I made out of that silly little POS bike trailer.
If you already have it you might as well hack it.
Old 02-16-2013   #8

craig, Colorado
I built one out of a bike trailer for a child. All i did was lay down the push bar behind it to support the rear of the kayak. worked great !
nwcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013   #9

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 1991
$45 Special

I got a used Cabela's aluminum kayak cart that I strap my XP10 to and then I made a simple hitch set up that mounts to my rear rack of my mountain bike. The wheels are detachable and the cart folds so I can do solo shuttles. It has worked so well that I have no need to look into a more expensive unit.

If I had some pics I would post them but everyting is put away for winter.
Ewetah is offline   Reply With Quote