kayak bag for airplane travel - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-04-2011   #1

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
kayak bag for airplane travel

I'm looking for recommendations on a creek boat bag for an upcoming trip to South America. I've looked into salamanders bags, i'm just wondering if there are any other companies that are also making bags. also, if someone has a bag they would like to get rid of, i'd love to purchase a used one.

thanks for the beta

H20ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011   #2

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
did you see the one for sale under the kayak accessories link on the classified ads?
one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011   #3

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
What length is your boat? I've got one. I'm not looking to sell, but your welcome to borrow it.
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011   #4

Minturn, Colorado
my boat is 102" long, so i'm pretty positive it will fit salamander bags. THank you for the offer, I may have to take you up on it. Airlines are getting crazier about what they will allow to fly, so i'm hesitant to put my eggs all in one basket. Ive got a lead on a boat in ecuador, so hopefully the offer will still be on the table if and when this falls through. thanks again, and i'll shoot you an email if i need to borrow your bag.
Old 11-06-2011   #5

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
I have a salamader bag, and it barley fit my Jefe Grande. I had to modify it a little.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Pretty sure there are a few left at Golden River Sports for 40% off right now.
PattyNYCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #7

Minturn, Colorado
thanks for the heads up, my boat is the same length. how did you modify it? and was it a permanent modification?(which would rule out me borrowing somebodies bag)....patty thanks for info on golder river sports, Ill give them a call to see what the story is.
Old 11-06-2011   #8

carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
just a heads up. Flying to south america once with my kayak in a kayak bag for travel, the airline had me open it and said nope. that's a kayak. the you're fucked. miss your flight and go home with your boat in a bag or scramble for air frieght which gets very complicated and you probably miss your flight anyway. don't think your fooling anybody by calling it a jungle exploring vessel in a bag. take a friend with you to the airport that is not traveling so that if they say no, your buddy can just take it home for you and you don't miss your flight.
i've been busted around the globe flying with a boat and i really now just avoid it. line up one to buy or rent wherever you are going then sell it when you leave. or line up air frieght before u go and plan on spending a full day retrieving it on the other side.
onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #9

carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
oh yeah i forgot to say i have a kayak bag for sale in carbondale.
i'm in south america now with a a boat line up. fuck flying with a kayak if you can avoid it. it can really complicate and make your trip expensive.
onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #10

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
who are you flying with? i flew my boat to montana this summer with frontier and they didnt have any problems with it. they just charged me an oversize bag charge, which granted was as much as my ticket.
one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag