Kara Lamb are you out there? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-25-2006   #1

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Kara Lamb are you out there?

Kara had mentioned in a thread a few weeks ago about damn releases in Pueblo.......that the state could call at anytime. Well, there was flash flooding in Fremont Cnty. last night and I'm anxious to hear if they might open MORE gates at the damn. Maybe just a little.......PLEEEEEZ!! Kansas has gotta be screamin' for more water soon, it's been a trickle through the park since the two days of 4400cfs (thank you, Kara, oh mighty contoller of the gates!). Anyone heard anything?

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2006   #2

Loveland, Colorado
Pueblo

Howdy,
I don't have anything new to tell ya, either, unfortunately. It does look like flows in the Arkansas, overall, are beginning to drop off a little bit. I'm not sure that rain contributed very much. At any rate, it's still around 200 cfs through Pueblo Reservoir on down to the kayak park. And, we've got the Flow Program going on the Arkansas--we're contributing about 150 cfs I think--so that Wellsville is staying above 700.

Like you, I'm anticipating Kansas and others downstream will start calling for water one of these days. But that's all I have, for now. I'll post when I hear something different.

Oh, and I can't claim to be controller of the gate. That's a guy named Steve.

It's been really hot!
--Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #3

Eagle, Idaho
Well, make sure Steve know's how cool he is when he flips the switch. Thanks Kara for all the great info. Honestly, I'd prefer the water stay above 700 near wellsville anyway. I certainly don't understand how it all works, but if we have to sacrifice a little water in the play park to keep more water through the Gorge, I'm all for it. When Kansas comes a screamin', will you give us a heads up (if possible)? (how'd they get so many rights to "our" water anyway?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2006   #4
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes
(how'd they get so many rights to "our" water anyway?).
ohhhh if only you were from aurora and had said that........
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #5

Eagle, Idaho
Oh.....I should clarify.......by "our" water, I meant Colorado......let's keep it rural. I don't mind that other fine Coloradoans (such as Aurora folk) get to enjoy the splendors of Arkansas River water.
Old 07-25-2006   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
Favirote activities on the "Ar-Kansas" river in Western Kansas:

Dirt-Biking
Driving 4-wheelers
Gittin' drunk 'n shootin golfers (gophers)

Activities that are difficult or impossible on the "Ar-Kansas" river in Western Kansas:

Boating
Fishing
Swimming
Anything that requires water

Very little Arky water actually makes it into Kansas and the river is totally dry just a few tens of miles past the Colorado border, always (except for very short periods, when give Kansas a good squirt).
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
dont think aurora hits the ark. btw one flow on the ark has nothing to do with the other. wellsville is supplemented till 8/15. we can thank our friends the rafters for that one.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #8

Eagle, Idaho
The cities of Colorado Springs and Aurora have contracted to use the conveyance system of the Fryingpan- Arkansas Project from Turquoise Lake for transportation of municipal water supplies owned by the two cities. Homestake Project water is pumped from Twin Lakes into the Upper South Platte River Basin for delivery to the city water systems.

I guess it's not necessarily the Ark......but water that would be.

http://www.usbr.gov/dataweb/html/fryark.html
Old 07-25-2006   #9

wasser

How did they get so many rights to "our" water anyway?

Under this presence=ownership premise it can be suggested that Lake County "owns" everything above the lake creek and clear creek reservoirs.
They can have it though because there are plenty of other huge tributaries and water basins between there and pine creek to make up for the lost flows. Besides, who needs water these days anyway, thats soooo last year! And if Kansas still thinks it is cool to use water for anything other than boating they should just have a glacial chunk or two shipped in from Alaska.
leadpipes is offline   Reply With Quote