Kara Lamb, Any forecast on duration of Blue River flows? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-16-2005   #1
dvc

Kara Lamb, Any forecast on duration of Blue River flows?

Kara:

The Blue River below Green Mountain Reservoir has been running at a good level for a while now. Cool clean fun. Do you folks have any schedule or prediction about how many more days, weeks, hours, the release flows will stay above 300 cfs?

Thanks in advance.

Dave Cooke

dvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2005   #2

I talked to the Roller posted at the gate when I was there last weekend and he said we have a couple of weeks left. He said it would probably run until the 26th. I don't know how reliable he is but it sounded good to me.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005   #3
dvc

blue river flows question

bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2005   #4

Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I also heard next Monday, 9/26 is the last day... but I think I heard it from the same guy who told Count.
"Believe me, my young friend, (said the water rat somlemnly), there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing...." -The Wind in the Willows
ZLSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Here's the site for river flow forecasts from one of those wasteful government programs that the Republicans want to cut so EXXON can have some more tax breaks.

Colorado Basin:
http://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/

Western Colorado:
http://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/river/rive...22,192?312,192

Green Mt. Release Forecast:
http://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/river/stat...plot.cgi?BGMC2
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005   #6

Andy, yeah the NWS and the River Forecast Centers in particular really ought to be outsourced some some private company that'll charge you to see the forecast (made by repackaging tax payers funded weather observations.)

The Green Mountain Forecast is based only on the most recently observed outflow. Unfortunely, the reservoir operates at the mercy of the water users, and the rfc doesn't know ahead of time how much (or little) and when the flows will change. In the Spring, it's a different story as they are much ore focused on filling the reservoir without having to go to the spillway. We are often given a breif idea of how they'll try to operate during runoff. But for now, don't be shocked is you get there and they've shut the water off.

Thanks for spreading the word.
merry prankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #7

Loveland, Colorado
All,
Sorry about the lag in communications. The reason I didn't send any notices out last week or this week concerning the Lower Blue is our releases from Green Mountain Reservoir to the river really haven't changed. They've been right around 770 cfs, or so.

And, we're anticipating that they'll stay at that level for, geez, around three more weeks--if not longer. There is a possibility they could stay in the 700s through the end of October. Of course, as my standard disclaimer--you can't predict the weather. So, there could be changes. We just aren't expecting the releases to change much.

We've got enough demand from the West Slope of Colorado to keep the 770 cfs, or so, going for a while. If there is a significant rain storm, or something, on the West Slope, we might drop them back a bit. But, we'll see.

Happy fall!
Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005   #8
dvc

Blue river

Sweet! Thanks for the update.
Old 09-30-2005   #9

Got this in the mail today:
The recent precipitation in the Colorado River Basin has caused a significant increase in the Colorado River flow at Dotsero. As a result, the Division 5 State Engineers Office has declared the C-BT Project as the swing right against the Shoshone senior call and requested that releases be reduced by 300 cfs. Therefore, we will reduce the current release by 300 cfs. With the current release being about 760 cfs, this decrease should produce a total flow of approximately 460 cfs at the gage below the dam.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Green Mountain Reservoir

14:00 hours – Decrease the release from 760 cfs to 460 cfs.

Maintain this flow until further notice. Thanks……..
merry prankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #10

Loveland, Colorado
Green Mountain releases drop

All,
Merry Prankster had the right info, straight from Reclamation. Yesterday, we had to drop releases to the Lower Blue by 300 cfs. The river should be around 460 cfs.

I had a chance to send an e-mail out yesterday at 2 p.m.--when we made the change, but didn't get a chance to post here. My apologies!

If you would like to be added to the e-mail notification list, give me a holler.

Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue river