Just how bad is the Idaho snowpack? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-06-2005   #1

Golden, Colorado
Just how bad is the Idaho snowpack?

Geez, all the snow in CO lulled me into thinking Idaho was going to be in good shape this year but just talked to someone up there and heard just of how bad of shape they are in for this coming season. I put in for a permit for mid august on the MF too but doesn't sound like rafting it then will be a good idea. Any input? Rants of frustration? Suggested rivers to row up there in low water years? How does the Main Salmon hold up?

bkp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2005   #2

oh yeah
From : ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/update/ws.txt

"Of note this week, is the continuing dry conditions in Washington state.
Some of the state’s SNOTEL and snow course sites are very unusually barren of snow at this time. The state basin snowpack averages range from 12 to 63% with the lowest snowpack in the Cascade Mountains, and the highest in northeast Washington. Idaho, Montana and Oregon are in similar situations with well below average snowpacks prompting much concern in those states. Also of note, the snowpack in California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and parts of Colorado are well above average at this time. There is some concern about runoff from the abundant snowpack in these areas."

i'm amused how certain conditions cause some people concern while the same conditions cause others (namely me) to drool uncontrollably in anticipation of the up coming summer.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005   #3

Golden, Colorado
Huh? How is low water good for you? Are you a USFS firefighter or something?
bkp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2005   #4

oh yeah
sorry, i live in colorado and was refering to the following:

"Also of note, the snowpack in California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and parts of Colorado are well above average at this time. There is some CONCERN about runoff from the abundant snowpack in these areas."
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #5

snowpack

If you look at the storms it is typical of a semi El Nino year. Instead of storms coming in from the north they have all been coming up from the south. As a result southern co rivers are way above average, rivers in the middle of the state are average and rivers to the north are slightly below average. However the southern snowpacks are so high that they bring the whole state up. Also notice how steamboat has gotten no snow this year, relatively. Wyoming and Idaho fall into the northern problem and will not, unless things change, have good runoffs. Neither will my local river, poudre. Right now it is like 90% which is better than last year but not great when looking at the southern snowpack.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #6

Boise, Idaho
The only thing that keeps me from freaking out is that the NF Payette will run for irrigation. Cascade res is 65% full and we have enough to fill it up. I doesn't break my heart if that river doesn't get huge. I wouldn't plan on rowing anything up here in august. The kayaking will be okay, but unless we get slammed it won't be the "big water" state this year. The main Salmon will have plenty of water to float though.
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #7

We ran the main late last august when it was low and it was fine. We had no issues with low water and it was beautiful. I would imagine the main is good to go pretty much anytime, even with the horrible snowpack.

Zach.