just got my kayak in yesterday, need help quick! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-18-2008   #1

morgantown, West Virginia
just got my kayak in yesterday, need help quick!

I just got my jackson fun classic kayak in yesterday. I am pretty new to whitewater kayaking. I bought a whole package from colordo kayak supply. Anyway heres the problem. I am 5'10 155 lbs size 11 shoe. Everything matches and says that the fun should fit me. It doesn't. It is so tight and small, but I finally got to where I could sit in it. Once I was in, i realized my feet were really cramped. But i kind of got used to it after a while. Heres the thing, i need a pair of shoes that are almost like a sock because it is so tight that I can barely get my bare foot in. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what shoe? Thanks in advance!

pinggolf91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008   #2

Flg, Az
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinggolf91 View Post
I just got my jackson fun classic kayak in yesterday. I am pretty new to whitewater kayaking. I bought a whole package from colordo kayak supply. Anyway heres the problem. I am 5'10 155 lbs size 11 shoe. Everything matches and says that the fun should fit me. It doesn't. It is so tight and small, but I finally got to where I could sit in it. Once I was in, i realized my feet were really cramped. But i kind of got used to it after a while. Heres the thing, i need a pair of shoes that are almost like a sock because it is so tight that I can barely get my bare foot in. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what shoe? Thanks in advance!

neoprene socks
works like a shoe to protect but super stream lined
they also make slim botties just for this but i think the socks work better and are super cheap
cheers
relikpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #3

Slim shoes

Try the NRS Desperado Shoe NRS Desperado Shoe. It looks like a pretty low profile shoe. You would have been just right in an 07 or 08, but you just can't beat the price on the Classics. Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinggolf91 View Post
VARIVERPIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008   #4

Yeah, i am new to the sport so I didn't want to spend alot, so i got the classic at a very reasonable price, anyway the shoes your talking about, the nrs ones, are the soft sole, i just need something really low profile, like the one guy said, a sock would even work. Does anybody have these shoes and is this normal for the kayak to feel this tight?
Old 06-18-2008   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
It is personal preference. I personally like a tight fitting boat as slop in the fit makes it harder to roll and control. That said, comfort means a lot for enjoyment. I Got rid of my wavesport Evo because it was too uncomfortable and now rock a EZG45. The only boats you are likely to be able to use a full bootie on are most likely the larger creekboats. Still no guarantee as my Microbat 230 is still too tight for anything but neo socks for me.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #6

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
Desperado

Go with it...the sole makes it a better option for portaging and other walking... neoprene socks are great, but you will wear a hole in them if you walk too much.
Old 06-18-2008   #7

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Hey... tight is good. Do you know you can move the seat? I love a tight fit. I use the rodeo sock in my Allstar. It is a neoprene sock with an ultra thin rubber sole for less slipping on the rocks. Not the best for sharp long walks but That is why I keep some crocks behind my seat.
j.p.comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I like the crocs idea. I have been using some Tevas for when I get out of the boat, but they are a tight fit over my neoprene socks.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #9

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
I got a pair of the teva booties P1 and they are more low profile than the NRS depserado sock. Less cushioning though for portaging. THey are also ten bucks cheaper
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #10

ok, what do you guys think, i've narrowed it down to the nrs desperado and the teva p1. Which would you recommend

Tags
kayaking