We are still planning to do a spring peak release this year! The cooler weather and additional snowpack has caused the peak forecast for the Animas to be pushed back, so in order to better match that peak, we have delayed the spring peak release.
The CBRFC will release a new peak flow forecast tomorrow, and based upon that we should be able to finalize our spring peak release. Right now it is most likely that we will do the spring peak release beginning on June 6th, ramping up to 5000 cfs by June 8th.
We will try to do a press release tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday morning with the latest.
Huge? Even with the spring peak release, I am guessing downstream flows will only be in the 7000-8000 cfs range unless we hit a significant warm spell at the same time. It is interesting that the Animas basin is at 228% of average today (using data from '87). However, the SWE has decreased some, and maxed out at near or below average levels this year. Just a fact that the snow is sticking around late for this time of year.