JO's in GOLDEN - NOTICE TO BOATERS - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-22-2007   #1

Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
JO's in GOLDEN - NOTICE TO BOATERS

I know there will be some complaints about this post, but it has to be posted nonetheless.

NOTICE TO BOATERS, TUBERS, FISHERMEN & FISHERWOMEN

From June 28th, 2007 through July 8th, 2007, between the hours of 8:00am and 5pm, the North American Junior Olympics Whitewater Championships will be taking place at the Clear Creek Whitewater Park, located in Golden CO.

There will be hundreds of participating paddlers (mostly young paddlers) training and competing dur the course of these games. A great proportion of these paddlers have traveled from other countries to compete, and as such, there are language barriers.

Due to safety and security concerns with our foreign athletes, we ask all of you whom are not participating in these games to remain acutely aware of racers in the water and to move aside in a feature when they are coming down the course during their training runs.

During actual competition, you may be asked by safety staff to remove yourself from the course if deemed a hazard to competing racers, or to move further down the river, or to the side of the river. The last thing we want are collisions happening on the water.

I know we all have to share the river, but this is a once a year event that will have major remifications for future editions of it if we do not help each other out here.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly via PM on here, email, or phone.

Mike Hyde
Safety Coordinator,
NAJOWC/US Cup - Golden CO
[email protected]

Advertisement

Old 06-22-2007   #2

Is this primarily in effect for the slalom area or is this applicable all the way to Library Hole and beyond?
etnguppys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #3

Course constraints

This will effect the following:

Down River Race - From Tunnel 1 to Library Bridge

Slalom Event - Will finish above Library Bridge Hole (where the bleachers are. Basically the last gate.)
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2007   #4

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
I don't see why this is a problem. River features are "closed" to us Plebians during every other major comp that I've ever been to. It makes for a smoother, more professional event.

Notice on this is good and plus, its a great event and we should be proud that they chose Golden to host the games.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #5

On another note....

Another thing I would like to ask those of you competing or attending the games that if you see any suspicious activity or persons, please contact the Safety staff, or race staff or Golden PD officers present at the games immediately. We do have a lot of foreign competitors, including the Iranian Women's Kayaking Team.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2007   #6

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
if you see any suspicious activity or persons, please contact the Safety staff, or race staff or Golden PD officers present at the games immediately. We do have a lot of foreign competitors, including the Iranian Women's Kayaking Team.
Do you think we might have Iranian Women Suicide Bomber Kayakers or do you think some redneck with too much Olde E in his gut will cause a scene? If the former, you might be watching too much FOX news.

-d

P.S. I think we should get the Hoff at one of these events! That guy is not only the bad-assesed lifeguard ever, but has foiled more criminal plots than the A-team ever hoped to!
Old 06-22-2007   #7

I worry about...

Stupid drunks, stupid rednecks, sex offenders, etc...

and on that note... anyone messes with any of these kids (from whatever country), it will be dealt with and the perp will have a bad day all the way around.
Old 06-22-2007   #8

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
You forgot to say...

"I pity the fool who mess with my kids!" Sounds like a really cool event and we are fortunate to have it here in Colorado. Good luck.
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #9

Broomfield, Colorado Paddling Since: 1996
MOvies and Instruction ....

Stay tuned for instruction on and off the river from EJ and other Team Jackson Members at the event, Sam Drevo on safety instruction for a river steward program. 50.00 for 3 hours for the after work crowd.
Movies at American Mountaineering Center as well speakers from in and out of Whitewater.
Schedule to be found at Golden Whitewater Park and the Buzz in the coming days.

We are excited to organize the event showcasing our playpark.

Come check out the event... it will be cool!
FRPA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007   #10

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
I guess that means we'll all have to go creekin. Damn!
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote